Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTS conversion to AVI

Alan

MTS conversion to AVI

This is off topic from DSLR stuff, but with all those demigods out there, I should expect one of them might know the answer to this.

I

Re: MTS conversion to AVI

MPEG Streamclip should work for you. I use it every time I shoot video with my 7D. I have different encoding needs based on how I'm going to be using the clips, and MPEG Streamclip is quite full-featured for a free program. I seem to remember having to download a codec, though...you might want to read up on it if it doesn't work perfectly the first time.

If you can spare the cash, I heartily recommend Cineform. Not only does it convert very well to an AVI codec, but the resulting files are much faster for video editing than typcial MTS files. The low-end version is $129, and it has a free demo period.

Alan

I have used MPEG Streamclip for my 7D movies, too, but when I tried it with these MTS files, I get the initial message of "unrecognized file type," "open anyway." When I click to open the file, this window pops up:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/4645.streamclip.jpg[/img]

Sounds like Daniel's Cineform is the way to go.

Actually, I got the same thing when I tried to do something in MPEG streamclip and I downloaded the alternate version. Been working fine ever since.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Actually, I got the same thing when I tried to do something in MPEG streamclip and I downloaded the alternate version. Been working fine ever since.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sean, I uninstalled the regular QuickTime, then installed the alternative. It is not working for me. I must not have something checked correctly. Streamclip still tells me it's the wrong file type.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

If you can spare the cash, I heartily recommend Cineform. Not only does it convert very well to an AVI codec, but the resulting files are much faster for video editing than typcial MTS files. The low-end version is $129, and it has a free demo period.

I agree with Daniel, I went through several conversion programs and none of them would maintain the original file quality----Except Cineform. Cineform is very easy to use and once converted, the file maintains its overall IQ. The converted file is also very easy to edit in Premier Elements. They also had a trial program---give it a try.

Bob
    Bob

Alan

Bob, Daniel, thanks. I purchased the low end version. It does do a great job of converting, no doubt.

Since you both have experience with this program, what settings should I use to convert MTS to AVI, without creating huge files? At the moment, even at the low quality setting, a 1 Gb MTS file gets converted to about a 4 Gb AVI.

Thanks for the suggestion. It really does a great job.

On my XH-A1 MTS files, I notice a small difference in detail between Medium and High, so I usually use High. I use software raid-5 for storage, so I can have lots of storage for very cheap (three 6 TB raid-5 arrays for $500 each). Most people use hardware raid, though, so their storage is a lot more expensive.

If the files are still too large at the lowest quality setting, I guess the only option is to resize them to a smaller resolution. Cineform can do a high quality down-conversion in the converter itself (such as going from 1080p to 720p). But I would encourage you to try to buy enough storage to keep the full resolution and use at least "Medium" quality.

Alan

How about taking the high quality conversions, then resizing them in Streamclip?