Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF 28-135mm f4L IS USM possible?

Canon EF 28-135mm f4L IS USM possible?

I read in a forum that this lens was being trialled andit had a 82mm filter. I know there are a lot of technical experts on this site, can anyone guess how big the lens would be and how probable a rumour like that would be?

Could it be Canon's answer to the Nikon, 24-120 that has just been released?

Appreciate your opinions.

Steve

Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: Canon EF 28-135mm f4L IS USM possible?

To believe in to such a rumor would mean that I would have to debate with myself if I would need such a lens. After all collecting L lens becomes a habit.

But....wouldn

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    can anyone guess how big the lens would be

My guess would be about the same as the 24-105 f/4 L.

how probable a rumour like that would be?

Not very probable. The only lenses that Canon makes that are constant aperture are "L" , the non-L are always variable aperture. Modern normal "L" zooms always start at 24mm, the non-L normal zooms always start at 28mm. A 24-135 f/4 L I could believe, but it would be too similar to the existing 24-105 to keep both going, so it would have to be a replacement.
    • I could believe a 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 to replace the existing one.
    • I could believe a 24-135 f/4 L replacing the existing 24-105.
    • I highly doubt 28-135 f/4

Don't take word for it, of course -- I've been very bad at guessing new Canon lenses in the past (although not as wrong as the rumors sites -- almost *anyone* does a better job guessing than they do).

Personally, what I'd like to see is a 14-24 f/2.8 L IS and 24-70 f/2.8 L IS, both with quality that matches the new 70-200 f/2.8 II L IS.

Just found this, thoughtI would throw it our there, with the talk going on about lens revisions because of 25mp+ sensors coming next year.

From Photo.net

<span style="font-weight: normal;"]Apparently Canon is testing a new <strong class="highlight"]28-135
    Lens. This is a direct quote I received via email.[/b]

<blockquote>

Canon is currently performing research, prototyping &amp; testing new <strong class="highlight"]28-135[/b]mm F4 L IS; less wide angle and more telephoto. Engineering says it would require 2 extra LD glass elements; shifting price to an additional $800 CAD of the original <strong class="highlight"]28-135[/b]mm MSRP. such a lens would cost and estimated $1549 MSRP. It is also Canons next generation Image Stabilization will be released; called &ldquo;IS2&Prime;, where the two additional long magnets are present, where larger float distance of separation between groups; yielding up to now 5 stops of effective stabilization; both in longitudinal and lateral vibrations will be dampened. IS2 will consume approximately 20% battery power.
    </blockquote>

• Mount: EF

• Focal length 28 &ndash; 135 mm IS2 II

• Maximum aperture F4.0 w/ IS

• Minimum aperture F22

• Lens construction 21 elements in 14 groups

• Diaphragm blades 8

• Image stabilizer 4-stops tested

• AF actuator Ring USM (full-time manual focus built-in)

• Filter diameter 82 mm

• Dimensions (dia x len) 88.5 x 112 mm

• Weight 730g EST.

Source: http://photo.net/equipment/canon/24-105/

If sensors get up around 28mp there will be a need for a few lens upgrades.

Steve
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The only lenses that Canon makes that are constant aperture are "L" ,
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

With the exception of the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Mark
    Mark

[quote user="Steve U"]how probable a rumour like that would be?[/quote]

I highly doubt Canon would release such a lens. I agree with Daniel that it is too similar to the 24-105mm f/4L to really fill any void in the line up. The current 24-105mm is a superb lens, there
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    . I realize you're comparing it to the Nikon version, but that lens is more expensive than the 16-35mm

Well, most Nikon lenses are about 20-30% more than their Canon counterparts -- but I wouldn't consider the 14-24 as the counterpart to the 16-35 -- they're pretty different IMHO.

The Nikon also doesn't have IS - not sure if you wrote that out of habit, but I wouldn't really see the point of IS in such a wide angle lens since it might add more to the price than it would be worth in practicality.

You're probably right, but the "neat" factor would be there. Nikon added VR to their new 16-35 f/4. Imagine four stop I.S. at 14mm. If you normally can do 1/15 at that focal length, it would allow you to do a full 1 second exposure. Nightscapes, blurred street life, lots of possibilities. Practical reality is probably more like two stops, though.

My personal wish list starts with a replacement to the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS. I'd love to see a normal zoom (non-push/pull), weather sealing, updated IS to 4-stops, and maybe a little improvement in quality at the long end. This formula probably equals a $2000 lens, but I'd likely buy one.

Well, at least Canon met you half-way with the new 70-300. []

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

With the exception of the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Thanks for the correction.

21 MP to 28 MP may sound like a big jump, but it's only 33% increase in pixel count and 15% increase in linear resolution. Think of it like going from 4.2 MP to 5.6 MP -- not that different, right?

I'd like to see 100 MP or so, to get more resolution out of existing lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

21 MP to 28 MP may sound like a big jump, but it's only 33% increase in pixel count and 15% increase in linear resolution. Think of it like going from 4.2 MP to 5.6 MP -- not that different, right?

I'd like to see 100 MP or so, to get more resolution out of existing lenses.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Crikey Daniel,I won't besubmitting any self portraits if it gets up to 100MP.

I like myself with a blurry, rough around the edges fetching mystique and I'm lucky that my skill level delivers like that for me.

Steve U