Thread: Using a Canon 550 Rebel t2i For filming, what lenses are best?

Using a Canon 550 Rebel t2i For filming, what lenses are best?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and need help!

I'm looking to get the rebel t2i for filming, but I can't figure out what lenses to get, as I'll mainly be using it to film. I think I'll need to get 2 of them, a super wide lens and an all purpose one, but can anyone advise me on what do get?

I'm drowning in choices at the moment and it doesnt all make sense to me!

Mike

Re: Using a Canon 550 Rebel t2i For filming, what lenses are best?

It's usually better to find a forum that is more dedicated to video, but for some quick advice I would suggest older non-autofocus lenses, since they will have better focus rings -- that is very important for video. I also recommend getting primes to give you more control over depth of field and low light performance. You can pick up a bunch of old used Nikons for pretty cheap. I like the 55mm f/2.8 for $90 used at KEH, with a $10 adapter to fit it on Canon. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeaah_dude
    I'm looking to get the rebel t2i for filming, but I can't figure out what lenses to get, as I'll mainly be using it to film

Hmm this is a really hard choice and as Daniel stated this question begs for a more video-friendly environment.

If I shoot video with my 5D(which is rare) I prefer the use of one of my primes and I even prefer one over the other. In my case the macro lens I have is pretty much build for manual focus, since with macro-photography auto-focus isn't that helpful and you can notice that in the focussing ring. Also I'd like to say that my zoom-lens isn't really helping out in video. It's very very hard to zoom in/out and maintain good manual focus at the same time.Therefor looking at old Canon lenses(preferably primes) without AF could be a good idea.

Also look at a good external microphone(very important! all camera sounds are very noticeable in video, changing aperture, using an image stabilizer, scrolling the wheels etc etc), a good tripod or a good videorigg. Anyway it's not really cheap to buy a DSLR mainly for video only and I personally would not do it and I would buy a higher grade videocamera.

Jan

A lot of people like to have IS for shooting video, since it really smooths out any shakes if you hand hold the camera. A few good choices for the T2i that have IS are:

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

EF 24-105mm f/4[color="red]L[/color] IS USM

On a crop body, the 15-85mm would probably serve well as a wide-angle and general purpose lens, but it doesn't have the biggest aperture. The 17-55mm can give great DoF for filming, so that might be something to consider as well, but it's more expensive than the 15-85mm. All of these have decent focus rings with FTM, but of course the L lens has the best focus ring and build quality overall.

I've personally used the 24-105mm on a 7D for filming and have been very happy with the results. I'm not sure what you're doing, but generally the f/4 aperture was large enough for what I do.
    - Trowski

Before you jump in, realize that for high quality professional looking and sounding video, the cost of the camera hardly registers on the cost of the accessories.

You can, of course take hand held video using the built-in mike and a canon 50mm f/1.4 lens. You would do much better with a cheap camcorder.

Do a little more checking and find out at what level you want to mortgage the house.

I bought this course, and its well worth the price. It could save you thousands to be able to know just what you want, and the cost.

creativelive.com/.../vince_laforet