Thread: Camera Backpack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I use the LowePro Fastpack 350 to hold most of my stuff in. It's a good take the camera equipment to the field kind of bag.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I use the LowePro Fastpack 350 to hold most of my stuff in. It's a good take the camera equipment to the field kind of bag.

Dave
    The Fastpack 350 was my first bag and I used it for several years. When I bought the 400AW, it pretty much went in my closet. I think I even tried to sell it once. It is a good bag and I brought it out of the closet as it does check a lot of the boxes I have. I am going to try to use it for work/travel/photography options, which is why I did not emphasize that above. My main issues with it before where:
    1. I essentially out grew it as my kit and several lenses became too large. But it is coming back around as it can hold the travel kit I am describing, camera plus 3 lenses.
    2. I always found attaching a tripod problematic.
    3. The attachments are limited, water bottle in side pouch (unsecured, and I've lost a few), something under the back flap (tripod or rain coat), but then there is no other place for exterior attachments for my wife's raincoat (somehow I often end up with this) or my tripod AND my jacket.
    4. Officially, it is not AW. I was on one hike with it when it started raining, I checked and the gear was getting wet. So I found a country store, bought some trash bags, cut holes in the trash bags for the straps and hiked for a weekend with a trash bag over my pack. After that I bought an official rain cover, but still, AW would be nice.
    5. Lack of ventilation for the back. I am looking for hiking/travel, something where this is on my back a lot. I remember it getting extremely hot a couple of times.

That said, it is a nice pack and I found it a bit funny when I started thinking of what I wanted and realized a bag that could do a good amount was sitting in my closet. And the Fastpacks are good enough when we bought my wife her set up (80D etc), we got her a Fastpack 250. But, maybe I do start using this for my "smaller pack" as well. I really love my Kiboko 22L, which isn't that large, it is just most of that 22L is dedicated to camera gear (so optimized for camera gear, not other stuff), I've twice now had it drop and have gear damaged (so I still love it, but....), and I am often tempted to fill it up. I've weighed it a couple of times and it has often come back 25 to 35 lbs, which was definitely a factor one of the times it was dropped. So, part of me wanting smaller is so I do not load it up.

Anyways....rainy day here so I spent some time messing around some.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 06-30-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    The Fastpack 350 was my first bag and I used it for several years. When I bought the 400AW, it pretty much went in my closet. I think I even tried to sell it once. It is a good bag and I brought it out of the closet as it does check a lot of the boxes I have. I am going to try to use it for work/travel/photography options, which is why I did not emphasize that above. My main issues with it before where:
    1. I essentially out grew it as my kit and several lenses became too large. But it is coming back around as it can hold the travel kit I am describing, camera plus 3 lenses.
    2. I always found attaching a tripod problematic.
    3. The attachments are limited, water bottle in side pouch (unsecured, and I've lost a few), something under the back flap (tripod or rain coat), but then there is no other place for exterior attachments for my wife's raincoat (somehow I often end up with this) or my tripod AND my jacket.
    4. Officially, it is not AW. I was on one hike with it when it started raining, I checked and the gear was getting wet. So I found a country store, bought some trash bags, cut holes in the trash bags for the straps and hiked for a weekend with a trash bag over my pack. After that I bought an official rain cover, but still, AW would be nice.
    5. Lack of ventilation for the back. I am looking for hiking/travel, something where this is on my back a lot. I remember it getting extremely hot a couple of times.

That said, it is a nice pack and I found it a bit funny when I started thinking of what I wanted and realized a bag that could do a good amount was sitting in my closet. And the Fastpacks are good enough when we bought my wife her set up (80D etc), we got her a Fastpack 250. But, maybe I do start using this for my "smaller pack" as well. I really love my Kiboko 22L, which isn't that large, it is just most of that 22L is dedicated to camera gear (so optimized for camera gear, not other stuff), I've twice now had it drop and have gear damaged (so I still love it, but....), and I am often tempted to fill it up. I've weighed it a couple of times and it has often come back 25 to 35 lbs, which was definitely a factor one of the times it was dropped. So, part of me wanting smaller is so I do not load it up.

Anyways....rainy day here so I spent some time messing around some.
    Mine truthfully only goes from the house to the car and then back to the house. I take the gear to the field in a smaller bag or on my shoulder. When shooting tripod I typically mount that over one shoulder using a Manfrotto strap that is designed for the tripod and my camera on the other shoulder with one lens mounted.

Dave