Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a good "city" bag.

Recommendations for a good "city" bag.

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for a good travel/city bag. Something that will fit my 40D with my 17-55 2.8 on it, and maybe my 70-200 f/4, my cell phone and a small notebook. I'm thinking something messenger or shoulder bag like, something that doesn't scream "camera bag."

Thoughts? Or should I just go buy a LowPro Slingshot like everybody else?

Mark

Re: Recommendations for a good "city" bag.

I just picked up a 7 Million Dollar Home from Crumpler and I'm liking it. Replaced my old LowPro backpack, since my 70-200 2.8 IS wouldn't fit in that any day of the week

It was $130 Cdn and well worth it IMO. They have various sizes, but for you 70-200 I'd suggest the 7 or might possibly be able to squish in the 6 as the f4 is smaller.

But I have my 40D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 50 1.8, 580EX, Rocket Blower, Charger, batteries for Flash, etc.. and it holds it all fine, I'm pretty sure I could get another Lens in there on the Camera no problem and possibly another smaller lens with the niftyfifty.

Highly recommend it if you're looking for something that doesn't scream CAMERA BAG STEAL ME!

Check out their site. Crumpler

Thanks for the Crumpler thought. I've been doing a bit of research since my original post and the leading candidates are:

Crumpler Million Dollar Home (something in the 5-7 million range)

Thank Tank Urban Disguise 30 or 35

LowePro Slingshot 200

Tamrac Velocity 7x or 8x

Anybody out there have strong feelings - positive or negative - about any of the above.

I have a 6 Million Dollar Home, and I love it. I was also looking for a relatively inconspicuous bag that could carry a lot of stuff, and the $6M Home has served me very well. My standard equipment list is currently a 5DII with 24-105 f/4 mounted, 580EX II, 50 f/1.4, a small rocket blower, plus an extra battery, two filters, a lens pen, small flashlight, memory cards, and other small bits (with room for other odds & ends, even). Sometimes I'll do the 5DII with 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4, 100mm macro, blower, + filters, etc.

The most stuff I've crammed in there, I think, was the 5DII, my 40D, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/4, and some of those extra items. It's an incredibly versatile bag, I've found, especially given that it's not too big. If I really need the kitchen sink, I bring it and call it a LowePro Nature Trekker. Not that the Crumpler is that conspicuous, but I carefully removed one of their logo badges, and now it's even less obvious.

Good luck with your choice! The consensus seems to be that there's no perfect bag (and I'd agree), but this is as close as I've come.

Quote Originally Posted by moldovamark

Crumpler Million Dollar Home (something in the 5-7 million range)

Thank Tank Urban Disguise 30 or 35

LowePro Slingshot 200

Tamrac Velocity 7x or 8x

The Thank Tank looks good, but the sizes you mentioned I think would be pushing it for any real room, unless you just want your Camera Lens.. not sure if it'd fit say the 70-200 on the camera and any extra lens, they description leads me to believe you're taking 1 lens on the camera .. and pushed for space. But I could be looking at that wrong, but looks like a nice discreet camera bag or a laptop bag.

Just my 2 cents... Lowepro looks too small if you want to carry your 70-200 .. meaning for what it's mean to be a side opener. It would work, but it's basically a backpack with the option to open from the side but with the 70-200 on your camera you're pretty much stuck using it like a backpack.

The Tamrac just looks terrible, but that's my opinion.. I mean looks wise Not functionally.

I've already praised the Crumpler, for your camera/lens the 6MDH I think would be fine, but you'd have to try it, but the 7MDH would fit it all. Honestly it's a great bag for the price and it's very configurable with the removable inserts and it has 2 nice pockets in the front and on the top of the opening flap.

If you have a shop locally that carries bags, I'd go see if they have any of the ones in question and try them out. That's what I did, i brought in all my lens, gear, etc.. and bought it when I picked up my flash.

How about Domke? They are fantastic and last for decades.... My friends has had his Domke f-2 for ages.. I have the same question becasue im also looking for a good city bag. More like an all arounf shoulder bag. Has anyone used the Tamrac 608??? or the Domke f-2??? it has come down to those two for me right now and i was wondering others thoughts on those two choices.

I was thinking about Domke F2 especially for my 40D + 100/2,8 on it with lens hood attached, but Domke didn't seem to me to be convenient enough for that. I found a few comments saying that Domke is a perfect choice for reporters who carry body and lenses divided. However, there's a lot of discussions and pix on net, how Domke F2 looks like.

I've eventually bought Tamrac Pro8 and I am completely satisfied. 40D+50/1,4+100/2,8+18-55IS - all of them with lens hood..accessories, flash or P&S ain't no problem..

I use Lowepro Slingshot 200AW (bicycle) and a small Tamrac Explorer 2 (just one lens or two) as well...

I have both the Crumpler 5MDH and the 7MDH. I originally got the 5M, but it ended up being too small as I increased my gear. But it's what I take if I'm shooting at shows, as I usually only need two lenses. The 7mdh is great though, as it fits everything I have- 17-55 2.8, 70-300 IS, 11-66 Tokina, nifty fifty, cleaning kit, and even a gorilla grip. And it's deep enough to store the camera body with any of those lenses attached. But if you only need a two-lens bag, the 5mdh is a great, inconspicuous bag. Actually, that's what I like about it most- it doesn't scream "camera bag."

Hey Mark,

I own and use both the LowePro Slingshot 200AW and Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 (laptop size). Both of them are impressive in their construction quality, although different in materials used. They're both fairly comfortable as long as -- and this is the key -- you don't jam them full of heavy stuff. This applies to both of them: when they're full, they get heavy.

Important note: I'm 6-2 and 200 lbs and in decent shape. When I say heavy, I'm not saying difficult to lug; it's more a matter of comfort (or lack thereof) when you fill either bag up. I have a couple of backpack-style bags that can hold twice the amount of stuff as even the Urban Disguise 60 and still feel less "heavy."

Both are relatively easy to shoot out of. Both have rain covers and seem well-padded enough to protect my stuff. (One of the reasons chose the Urban Disguise over a Crumpler Million Dollar Home -- don't remember which one -- was that the Crumpler had so much padding that it made the bag gigantic....hope I don't regret that decision!)

If you find the perfect bag, let me know. I have the feeling that I'm eventually going to be one of those people who own a dozen or more bags.

Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to order the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. I'll let you know how it works out.