Thread: Some Portraits from California

Some Portraits from California

<span style="font-size: medium;"]These three portraits of my cousin were shot in LA Disneyland and La Jolla Beach. Nice places and we love them all.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.70.Forum+Use/IMG_5F00_2050.JPG[/img]

(LA Disneyland. 50D + 16-35/2.8L II @ 18mm, f/5.6, 1/400s, ISO100)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.70.Forum+Use/IMG_5F00_2244.JPG[/img]

(LA Disneyland. 50D + 16-35/2.8L II @ 18mm, f/2.8, 1/13s, ISO800)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.70.Forum+Use/IMG_5F00_2335.JPG[/img]

(La Jolla Beach. 50D + 16-35/2.8L II @ 16mm, f/11, 1/200s, ISO100)

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I found I use these diagonal composition quite often now especially with my 1.6x croped 50D. Because when the lens is not wide enough, the diagonal of the square image has the largest angle of view. By taking advantage of that, I found that my photo can actually contain a lot more stuff than it used to do. Especially for architecture photography, a skyscraper that can't be taken on a normal vertical photo may be captured in full with diagonal compositions.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I also used f/11 on my 50D quite often when I was in California because it was sunny all the way during my stay. I tried to find any evidence of lens diffraction but I failed completely. My images made at f/11 are as sharp as those made at F/8 or f/5.6. At least to my eyes f/11 is exactly the same as other larger apertures in this regard.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Comments?[8-|]

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Benjamin

Re: Some Portraits from LA

Funny, you call it "LA Disneyland" It is not even in LA County.

The "rest of the world" knows the original Disneyland as LA, as distinct from Florida, Paris, Tokyo ...

Yes, it is in Anaheim but to most people that is part of greater LA

As for the photos, maybe I'm just to literal but I've never been a fan of diagonal compostion. Just me and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, otherwise there'd be no creativity in the world.

That's what I was going to say too. Disneyland is literally three miles from my house and I would no way ever call it LA. Orange County. It is so distinctly different. And then La Jolla is in San DiegoCounty. Nothing here is in LA. [:P]

I like the first shot though. Do not mind the diagonal. The other two don't do anything for me. Ecspecially the second shot because it is blurry. Blurry enough to take away from the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by MOF_Sydney
    The "rest of the world" knows the original Disneyland as LA, as distinct from Florida, Paris, Tokyo ...

Well in that case I just might let it go. But I better not catch anybody else calling Orange County, Los Angeles. [:P]

Benjamin I was just giving you a hard time. No need to changethe title! I was being facetious more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MOF_Sydney

Yes, it is in Anaheim but to most people that is part of greater LA
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This is what I have in mind when I wrote LA disneyland. Just meant to distinct from the rest of the Disneylands worldwide. I drove there when I was in california and I was aware that it was actually far from the city of LA. I have also changed the name of this post, portraits from california instead...

But for the photos, I feel I can do more with diagonal composition. Not saying that it's better to use it every time on everything, just sometime when it feels like to go from corner to corner, I shoot it diagonally.[:P]