Thread: 16-35mm f/4L IS vs. TS-E 17mm f/4L

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another tough one. I am in a bit of the same situation as I start to think about my next lens the 16-35 f/4 IS is definitely being considered.

If your primary purpose is architecture, the TS-E makes sense.

However, I have to wonder if the benefit of having 4 stop IS and potentially not needing a tripod (as often) may be a significant factor when packing and hiking around with a couple young kids.

As I think about my kit, I am entertaining the idea of my core being the 16-35 IS, 24-70 II, and 70-200 II. If I wanted to travel "light" with two lenses I could take the 16-35 IS and 70-200 II. Both with IS and both 77 mm threads.

Just a thought. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of each.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-07-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Another tough one. I am in a bit of the same situation as I start to think about my next lens the 16-35 f/4 IS is definitely being considered.
    It's an excellent lens by all accounts.

If your primary purpose is architecture, the TS-E makes sense.

However, I have to wonder if the benefit of having 4 stop IS and potentially not needing a tripod (as often) may be a significant factor when packing and hiking around with a couple young kids.
    The majority of my UWA shots are architecture, a few landscapes, and only a very few with people.

But I can see the potential of the 16-35/4 IS for travel shots 'on the go', particularly in Europe, for example.

As I think about my kit, I am entertaining the idea of my core being the 16-35 IS, 24-70 II, and 70-200 II. If I wanted to travel "light" with two lenses I could take the 16-35 II and 70-200 II. Both with IS and both 77 mm threads.
    Currently I have two 'travel kits'. For trips with family, I usually take just the 24-70 II and 70-300L (in a Lowepro Toploader Pro with a lens case). With the kids, I find that a 'general purpose' zoom is essential. My 'photo outing' kit was those two lenses plus the TS-E 24L II and 16-35/2.8L II, which all fit nicely in a Lowepro Flipside 300, with the RRS TQC-14 + BH-30 LR strapped to the outside.

Just a thought. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of each.
    The pros of the TS-E 17 are the movements...else, it's similar in IQ, more expensive and more cumbersome to use. For me, that's probably enough, I think...