Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeowners Policy | Photography Equipment Rider

Homeowners Policy | Photography Equipment Rider

For those of you that have one, can you tell what the process was for obtaining it? When I had Allstate they only asked me for a list of model numbers with replacement value. They didn't ask for serial numbers or anything else. My current insurer is telling me that will not do it without a bill of sale for each item. Is it me or is that ludicrous?!?!?

I only had to submit model number, serial number, and replacement value. We're with AAA Ins.
    Mark - Flickr

I am with USAA. Description and serial numbers only. Sounds over the top to me, for residential insurance. Not sure if that is standard for commercial insurance. Are they confusing the two?
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DanoPhoto View Post
    Sounds over the top to me, for residential insurance. Not sure if that is standard for commercial insurance. Are they confusing the two?
    They should not be as that was the 1st question they asked. I am going to call the local office tomorrow to see if I can get anywhere. I think the guy thought I was trying to scam them since there was a legendary hurricane yesterday ;-)

I have amica and they asked for model, serial number and receipts. They settled for credit card statement in the one instance where I couldn't get a receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I have amica and they asked for model, serial number and receipts. They settled for credit card statement in the one instance where I couldn't get a receipt.
    Drats!!!!!!!! I have Amica :-( It would take FOREVER to go back in time and find even credit card statements (online) for my purchases :-( The guy said it was to prove ownership. God bless the crook who steals something and then turns around and commits insurance fraud!!!!!

State Farm, when I set up the policy I just sent a spreadsheet with model numbers and prices. When I added items later, they asked for receipts.

Problem: you get paid for shoots, Mark. Almost all the home insurance rider policies, they don't cover if it's a business. Have you discussed that with them? I'd be concerned that even if an agent sells you the policy, the main office might deny a claim if all they have to do is google your name.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Problem: you get paid for shoots, Mark
    What's the opposite of hanging out your shingle? I recently decided to quit accepting gigs. That is why I canceled my "professional" liability & comprehensive insurance as of 10/01/2012. I have two young children and a demanding full time job (things I didn't have when I 1st got started). At this stage of my life, it just takes too much time away from my family. Now I am focusing on shooting them :-) Anyway, so that should not be an issue. Furthermore, Allstate was completely fine with me using my insured gear for professional use. It was only when I needed to obtain liability insurance that I had to change policies. They actually brokered that deal so I guess it worked out for all.

I do still keep my website live but when contacted I just say that I am not currently taking sessions. I am hopeful that in years to come I can get back into shooting professionally.

EDIT: I also work for friends and family (how I got started) but it's all pro bono. As ubiquitous as digital cameras are most people don't have any good pictures of their children and that doesn't sit right with me.
    Last edited by Mark Elberson; 10-30-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Mark,

Each insurance company is going to handle this diffrently. You should ask for a copy of your policy and read it.

I switched companies not long ago. The old company required a rider for the equipment. They asked for serial numbers and vaules. If I added a lens or camera I had to send it to them for an update. They asked for an apprasail at first, but I told them I had reciepts. They did not ask for the reciepts but I know I had to keep them if something happened.

The old company left the state. I switched to Farmers. My Farmers agent said he didn't need the info and just added a rider. The policy was worded diffrently and I sent him the info any way. But Farmers requirments are diffrent than the previous company.

Main piece of advice is to read your policy and understand it yourself.

EDIT: also, three insurance companies ago we had your insurance company. They had very good hands but mainly at picking your pockets. We had a car and house claim with them and they performed poorly. Same with John's insurance company, I had coverage with them 20 years ago and it was very poor service when a spring storm wiped our neighborhood out. Our neighbors had other insurance companies and they were settled with quick, we had to fight from start to finish to get the insurance company to take care of our claim. Any way I am not to high on either of those companies now.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-30-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Main piece of advice is to read your policy and understand it yourself.
    Good advice, but I was just trying to set a benchmark based on other people's experiences. From the few responses I've received (and personal experience as well) it it quite clear to me that my insurer is the exception and not the rule. That's fine. That's there prerogative. I just wanted to make sure that my expectations weren't out of line.