Thread: What is wrong with these pictures

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is wrong with these pictures

Taken with Canon 5D mk3 and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM 2, something, not OS or IS stabilized. Has the lens had it or was I just shooting terribly. I know I was shooting terribly. Very bright outside, very cold. Other settings were Evaluative Metering and Auto White Balance. I kept finding the camera at f2.8 but I tried to keep it at f8 or above. I meant to go around with the 24-70 f2.8 L2 but I was exhausted.

Tiger f4.5 1/200 iso400
    The tigers whiskers are glowing, he has a blue tint, nothing seems sharp. I was using one shot focus and rapid fire when I got this image. Most were worse.

Bear f4.5 1/80 iso500
    I feel like the bear has too much highlight, its overexposed, there is no color depth, it is "blown out". The bear should actually be a model, he or she was really posing well. This was an opportunity, as the bears, monkeys, many other animals simply cant be taken pictures of in their enclosures to to lack of visibility and being behind scratched up plexiglass with bright glares on it which I get close and block if it is possible.

The bear is a mild example of the overexposure problem. Many many pictures simply were not any good. I imagine this would be solved with center spot metering?

Rabbit f2.8 1/60 iso320
    There were several rabbits, I couldnt seem to get any shots in focus, nothing sharp.

Duck f2.8 1/160 iso400
    The duck was fun. I cant say if this should be sharper or not, he was right at the 1m minimum focus for this lense. I petted him earlier. If it were iso50 I would know if it were lacking in sharpness but iso400 is a bit grainy.

Cat f2.8 1/30 iso2000
    The cat is indoors, behind 1.5" of plastic with glares I tried to avoid. Low light.

Rhino f2.8 1/200 iso250
    The Rhino seems ok. Its outside, very bright day, but in the shade.
    Last edited by UmiKaibutsu; 11-13-2013 at 08:41 AM.