Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamron 150-600mm f/6.3

Hopefully the Tamron 150-600 will get tested here at TDP. I'm thinking it's not worth the outlay over my 400 5.6 + 1.4x TC III combo. Especially since it seems the Tamron only gets sharp at f8. The one instance I think the Tamron will work better is at airshows where the image stab will aid with prop blur.
    Mark - Flickr

Dave...thanks, I missed that.

Here is a hands-on review.

http://www.dustinabbott.net/2014/01/...vc-usd-review/

I haven't yet read it all. But the parts that I did read seem to indicate that this is a great lens...for the price.

EDIT---the more I think about this, I think I am in a similar boat as Mark. Now that some real information is coming in, I am not sure this lens fits into my kit. If I didn't already have the 100-400L, I'd probably think about it more. But a 25% drop in resolution from 400 mm to 600 mm. Is that really any better than the 100-400L with a 1.4x TC (560 mm)? I doubt it. Sure there is 2/3 stop of light gained. But, it seems that you have to stop down with the Tamron anyway. In looking at my kit, I could add a $400 item that can be used with other lenses and keep my kit smaller, lighter and more flexible.

Plus, I am looking to increase my IQ from the 100-400L. I am not looking for "similar too." If I didn't already have the 100-400L, I'd probably be more tempted as the 100-400L + a 1.4x TC is >$2,000 vs $1,067. So, I'll keep looking at the reviews and maybe I'll see something that changes my mind. And I hope, if nothing else, this puts enough pressure on Canon to update the 100-400L. Because I think what I'd really like is the refresh of that lens or the a 400 f/5.6 IS until I can afford a big white lens.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-20-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Tamron 150-600mm f/6.3

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    But, it seems that you have to stop down with the Tamron anyway.
    Stopping down helps most lenses. Some of the discussion around how much it will help is based on this graph:

I wonder how accurate those data are, given the apparently minor effect of diffraction at f/32...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Dave...thanks, I missed that.

Here is a hands-on review.

http://www.dustinabbott.net/2014/01/...vc-usd-review/

I haven't yet read it all. But the parts that I did read seem to indicate that this is a great lens...for the price.

EDIT---the more I think about this, I think I am in a similar boat as Mark. Now that some real information is coming in, I am not sure this lens fits into my kit. If I didn't already have the 100-400L, I'd probably think about it more. But a 25% drop in resolution from 400 mm to 600 mm. Is that really any better than the 100-400L with a 1.4x TC (560 mm)? I doubt it. Sure there is 2/3 stop of light gained. But, it seems that you have to stop down with the Tamron anyway. In looking at my kit, I could add a $400 item that can be used with other lenses and keep my kit smaller, lighter and more flexible.

Plus, I am looking to increase my IQ from the 100-400L. I am not looking for "similar too." If I didn't already have the 100-400L, I'd probably be more tempted as the 100-400L + a 1.4x TC is >$2,000 vs $1,067. So, I'll keep looking at the reviews and maybe I'll see something that changes my mind. And I hope, if nothing else, this puts enough pressure on Canon to update the 100-400L. Because I think what I'd really like is the refresh of that lens or the a 400 f/5.6 IS until I can afford a big white lens.
    I'd have to say the Tamron is likely more targeted at the 70D, 60D, and Rebel crowd. As you go up the class of camera scale most folks will opt for higher grade lenses. It's horses for courses as they say. Some 5D users may pick it, but I would expect there to be fewer of them that do. I can't imagine seeing a modern 1D with this lens.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I'd have to say the Tamron is likely more targeted at the 70D, 60D, and Rebel crowd. As you go up the class of camera scale most folks will opt for higher grade lenses. It's horses for courses as they say. Some 5D users may pick it, but I would expect there to be fewer of them that do. I can't imagine seeing a modern 1D with this lens.

Dave
    I think it provides an interesting alternative to the 100-400L, 400 f/5.6, and Sigma offerings. So there is a nice market there. The reviewer, Dustin Abbott, seems pretty enthralled with it and he typically shoots the 6D. It will get a lot of people that want reach that are on a budget. About the same time I bought my 100-400L, a friend bought the Sigma 150-500mm. He was having some fun with the fact that I paid more for less reach. But, in the end, I use my 100-400L all the time and he was pretty disappointed with the optics of the Sigma. Based on the data to date, I think the Tamron is better than that particular Sigma and like I said above, if I didn't already have the 100-400L, I'd definitely be considering it. But, in the end, I think I am in the market for better optics. Had the Tamron @ 500 mm/600mm with that 95 mm front element been similar to the 100-400L @ 400 mm with the 77 mm front element, I'd probably buy one. But that 25% hit is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Stopping down helps most lenses. Some of the discussion around how much it will help is based on this graph:

I wonder how accurate those data are, given the apparently minor effect of diffraction at f/32...
    Exactly what I thought when I saw that graph. Diffraction on most FF cameras starts in at f/10 or so. How is this lens peaking at f/11 to f/16? So that is issue #1. Second issue, even if accurate, that is 2-3 stops of light lost from f/5.6 on the 100-400L. That is significant for moving subjects, such as BIF. Another way to look at it, one of the reasons I moved to the 5DIII was to get the 2 stops of light ISO noise advantage. The 1.6x crop factor applied to 400 mm is 640mm. So, I'd likely be better off with the 7D and 100-400L combo than the 5DIII Tamron combo in terms of both IQ, reach and shutter speed.

I bet there is a pretty good market for this lens. It is affordable and many will buy it for the "600 mm". But pragmatically speaking, it seem like there are better combos out there for me. Where the jury is still out, as Dave mentioned, are those with cropped sensor cameras may covet the 960 mm reach. And perhaps the center IQ will be worth it. It will be interesting to see as more reviews come in.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-20-2014 at 10:46 PM.

I put in a pre-order and will test against my 70-200 w/ the 2x, my strategy is that they would be paying extra close attention to the 1st lenses out of the factory ? ?

Given the price, I am not expecting all that much. "deal price to deal price" there is a 2x or better difference, and you get 200mm extra reach.... hmmmm

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I put in a pre-order and will test against my 70-200 w/ the 2x, my strategy is that they would be paying extra close attention to the 1st lenses out of the factory ? ?

Given the price, I am not expecting all that much. "deal price to deal price" there is a 2x or better difference, and you get 200mm extra reach.... hmmmm

Mike
    Great. I am glad someone here is going to take a look. Please post the results.

A little more info on the Tamron 150-600 from Roger at lensrentals.com

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014...ezoom-shootout

If the initial reviews are like Dustin's, I'm in for this lens. I've been trying to get to 600mm for a reasonable price for a long time.

Another review http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ta...s-review-23866

For comparison sake, here is the EFS 55-250 STM from the same website.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-24-2014 at 10:39 AM.