Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D mk III / 5D mk II : image quality and sharpness

1D mk III / 5D mk II : image quality and sharpness

Hello,

On simple question : all differences apart (fps, FF or 1.3x, price, pic area taken and so on), what would you say about image quality only and sharpness (w/ same L lenses, of course) of these two "old" cams ?

I would say a 21.1 FF is a clear winner vs a10.1 MP ... on paper.

What do you think ?

Re: 1D mk III / 5D mk II : image quality and sharpness

Yes, the 5D2 is the clear winner on "image quality", but only when everything else is well controlled. No amount of image quality is going to help if you can't get the shot in focus in the first place, and that's where the 1D3 AF comes in. Same thing with other features like FPS, weather sealing, etc.

Yes, I've read that fps is not 5d II stongest point and that Af has been a pain in early models

But in fact, as 1D mk II is designated as a "pro" cam, I wondered how the 10.1 mpx could compete against 5D II, if used for landscape, portraits, and studio.

It's a sport cam, but for other use, what is it's equivalent in quality (50D ? 450D ? or lower ... or it's very good overall ?) .

Maybe it's a detail (or it's not the right way to ask) but at this price, I'd better know what the 1D III is worth for other work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan
    It's a sport cam, but for other use, what is it's equivalent in quality (50D ? 450D ? or lower ... or it's very good overall ?) .

There is no precise equivalent. The 400D has the same number of megapixels, but it doesn't have as good of MTF due to the smaller image circle.

And now that I think of it, the 1D3 does have one important image quality advantage over the 5D2: pattern noise at low ISO. On the 5D2, you have to stay below 9 (maybe 10) stops of dynamic range, or you will get nasty lines in the shadows. The 1D3 can go at least a full stop further.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan

Personally, I would prefer a 1DIII to any other non-full frame canon camera, and I don't shoot sports. But that's just me. 1DIII does have a disadvantage for wide angle, because you don't have full frame and you can't use EF-s lenses.

Mmmh, it becomes very difficult.

Coming from a 50D (nice, fast, but ... even with L lenses I don't find it tack sharp) I'm ready to invest (for my work) in the machine I know can do the best pics overall for a defined budget. It's my challenge to do better picture and master the tech side. But I need to know that the cam can reach a certain quality.

I'll choose between the 5D II and 1d III

1D IIn, 1D II and 1D IV are a bit more expensive ... and I'm not sure the higher price is wort the effort against the previous two. Maybe I'm wrong.

It really depends on what you are shooting. I have both cameras and they perform very well. For moving objects, the 1d MIII is a much better choice. For landscape and portraits, it's the 5d MII hands down. I use the 1d MIII 80% of the time when I walk around on weekends since it just feels so much better from a handling standpoint. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Hello Julius,

Happy man. I'd dream to have both ;-)

On the action pic dept, I do mainly greyound and horses races, aeronautical meetings.

On "static" dept., its studio, portraits, corporate pics (boards), some architectural, packshots and products.

And yes, sometimes, they're pics for magazines, so Hi-Res required.

Nature : no wide landscapes (maybe because I have not the right gear) but flowers, trees, bit and pieces.

The 50D speed is fine, but image is not sharp and "plain" enough (even with L lenses).

And I think for studio, a FF would be really better (1.3x too ?)

But for sports 5D II is much too slow.

I've read that sensors with less MPx make better picture quality (1D III) and that FF with 21 Mpx is top for ... better pictures quality too.

I know I'll have to do some sacrifice choosing one of the two cams, and honestly my heart goes for the 1D III. But I'm a bit afraid to have lesser overall quality (than 50D for example) for all studio work than th 5D II.

In fact, the more I read, the less I know what to do :-(

(Or the solution for both world is a 1Ds III or 1D mk IV ?)

If I were youI wouldget a 7D, you get 8 fps and 18 mpx. You have way more resolution than the 1D III and only lose 2 fps.

Here is aRAW picture I found on the web, it was taken with a EF 50mm f/1.8 at f/5.6, ISO 100, sharpening applied.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/canon_2D00_7d_2D00_100iso_2D00_nrdesa_2D00_big-reduced.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/canon_2D00_7d_2D00_100iso_2D00_nrdesa_2D00_big-100_2500_-crop.JPG[/img]

Is the image quality good enough for what you want to do? This could be your best compromise without spending a mini-fortune.

John.

Why comparing 1 series and 5 series? for me its a different flatform. Is this a fair trial?

How about you compare 1Ds vs 5D series..?