Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know I've bashed Best Buy, but...

I know I've bashed Best Buy, but...

I've generally been under the impression that Best Buy is pretty overpriced on camera gear. They are - the 5DII sells for $2900 ($200 more than other retailers), the 24-70mm f/2.8L sells for $1450 ($50 more than elsewhere). Plus, as a local brick and mortar store, sales tax adds to the costs.

I was looking to get a new camcorder to replace my aging standard definition MiniDV, and after doing a bit of research, I settled on the Canon Vixia HF M41 - full HD,same sensor as the flagship consumer camcorder costing twice as much(1/3", large for a camcorder, and with just enough pixels for HD video - many camcorders inflate the pixel count for higher res still pics, but I've got that covered...), excellent low light performance, a good focal length range for me, and seemingly ideal for my needs.

Unfortunately, my initial research didn't extend to checking stock levels - the camera was announced in January with availability in March. Some units certainly shipped, but with the damage caused by the tragic events in Japan, Amazon doesn't even list the M41 (they do have M40 and M400, versions with less or no internal flash memory, but those also lack an electronic viewfinder). B&H lists it as new and no estimated arrival, Adorama lists it as backordered with no estimated in stock date. So, I was faced with the 'wait and hope' or 'find a second choice' alternatives.

On a lark, from the Canon website, I clicked the Where to Buy button, and Best Buy stores filled the geographically sorted list. According to their website, Best Buy had the M41 in stock at the store near my house, at a list price of $799 (the MSRP, but surprisingly to me, no higher), and it was listed on sale for $679 (so even with sales tax it would come out almost $80 less than preordering from B&H)! So,I stopped by Best Buy on my way home today, and didn't see the M41 on display. The salesperson checked the computer, which confirmed 3 in stock - at a price of $849.99 ($50 more than MSRP, reaffirming my views on typical Best Buy pricing). He found them in the locked cabinet under the displays (explaining why they had them in stock - hard to sell a model that's not on display!), and he matched the sale price from their own website. So, I got a great deal on a new camcorder....at Best Buy, of all places!

Re: I know I've bashed Best Buy, but...

I have been screwed by Best buy several times now. So much so I would pay more to buy from someone else. If I had to wait six months for it to come in stock I would to avoid Best buy.

Glad you are happy with your purchase.

Mark
    Mark

For whatever reason, the online price and instore price never match up even on their internal systems. You would think a large conglomerate like BB would have their crap together, alas not. However they do have their shiny moments as recently I purchased a Canon S95 with 8GB sdhc with a carrying case with free shipping for 399.99 - said camera typically retails for 425.00CAD.

Congrats on your new little toy!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

John

I have been thinking about buying some equipment to hand hold one of the bodies, (probably the 7D), off camera mike and some other equipment to shoot video with the DSLR's. I was thinking of outfitting the 7D with either the 14mm or 16-35L to give a deep depth of field to over come the manual focus. Of course it seems you can spend more on this than a camcorder, but was wondered if you concidered that route?

As for Best Buy, the one in Norman OK carries Apple Computers. The wife wanted a new windows computer to run Lineage II, so wewent and bought her a new IMAC at Best Buy Monday. Best Buy was selling it cheaper than you could buy it online at the Apple Store. Perhaps it was because of the release of the new IMAC's today. I will be curious to see if the continue to sell them cheaper. Even the 17" $2499 notebook they were selling for $2399.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    So, I got a great deal on a new camcorder....at Best Buy, of all places!

Great post, John.

it was listed on sale for $679 (so even with sales tax it would come out almost $80 less than preordering from B&H)!

You touched on one of the downsides of buying from a brick and mortar - they take all the fun out of tax collection.

As you know, all states that have sales tax have built systems to increase the enjoyment and fun of buying things out of state. Under penalty of law they require us to:
    • Spend hours tracking every penny spent out of state.
    • (Whether in person, by phone, over the internet, or mail order.)
    • Calculate how much sales tax they would have paid if they had bought it in state ("use tax").
    • File use tax forms every month (a few states only let you have this pleasure once per quarter).
    • Send in the money!

Talk about fun, right!? What's even more exciting is the possibility that you may be audited for use tax at some point in the future. Right now, the only people who get to enjoy the fun of that are business owners and folks already selected for a state income tax audit. Nothing like the fun of furnishing receipts for every item you own to prove that sales tax was already paid (like a friend of mine did a few years ago -- he loved it!).

For the most daring among us, there are several exciting choices:
    1. Track every penny and send in payments every month like a good citizen (Yay! Taxes are so much fun!).
    2. Perjure yourself on your income tax return by saying "no" to the line asking if you bought anything out of state (oooh, rebel!).
    3. Don't file use tax returns at all!

The last one is the best, because if you haven't filed your monthly use tax returns for the last 30 years, the accumulated penalties and interest will be enough to finally fund that new freeway overpass the state has been wanting.

Personally, I love the fact that 99% of Americans are evading tax, many of them liable for probably tens of thousands of back taxes, penalties, and interest. Could you imagine a system where everyone actually *paid* their taxes? So much better this way.

[]

When I bought my 7d, my local Best Buy matched the lowest price I could find online but did not have it in stock in my local store (in Wisconsin). They were going to ship it from the next closest store (in Illinois) and promised it would arrive on Friday. When it didn

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    File use tax forms every month (a few states only let you have this pleasure once per quarter).

Actually, in MA all that's required is declaring the amount spent on out-of-state purchases intended for use in the state on a line of the state return, and paying the appropriate tax with the return (which I do, so count me in that 1%). In fact, MA is pretty serious about use tax - they actually sued a tire company in neighboring New Hampshire (who's ads encourage MA residents to come and shop in 'tax-free NH') to try and force them to collect the MA state use tax, on the grounds that tires installed on a car registered in MA were clearly and unarguably intended for use in MA. The federal court didn't buy the argument, though (however, I think MA is currently suing that same tire company for their customer records...).

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I have been thinking about buying some equipment to hand hold one of the bodies, (probably the 7D), off camera mike and some other equipment to shoot video with the DSLR's. I was thinking of outfitting the 7D with either the 14mm or 16-35L to give a deep depth of field to over come the manual focus. Of course it seems you can spend more on this than a camcorder, but was wondered if you concidered that route?

I did consider it, Rick, but rejected the idea on the grounds of intended use. If I wanted to 'make a video' I would likely go that route. But this is primarily for capturing memories of the kids, meaning portability, ease of use, and speed of setup. A 7D + steadycam rig isn't something that can be left on a counter and picked to catch a video clip before the kids have stopped doing whatever made you grab for the camera...

Actually, in MA all that's required is declaring the amount spent on out-of-state purchases intended for use in the state on a line of the state return, and paying the appropriate tax with the return (which I do, so count me in that 1%).

Ah, that would be nice. My state (WA) is a lot more draconian. Not only do you have to send it in every month, but if the use tax due is over a certain amount ($500 or something -- not that much), you can't even wait for the monthly return -- you have to send payment within 15 days or face penalties and interest.

What's really funny is when the cost of bookkeeping is higher than the tax itself. We have a lot of taxes like that in our state, use tax is just one of dozens. Maybe the lawmakers are trying to boost the economy through accounting jobs. []

Why don't they just include taxes in prices? In the Netherlands there's a 20% tax on a lot of things and it's already in the price.

I wouldn't want to send in a tax form every moth, that's for sure. Once a year is more than enough for me [A] And mostly it's because I get cash back then[]

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman
    Why don't they just include taxes in prices? In the Netherlands there's a 20% tax on a lot of things and it's already in the price.

They do...sort of. But, sales taxes are levied at the state level, and each state has their own tax rate (some don't levy any sales tax). Shelf tags don't include the sales tax in the price, though - it's added at checkout. The laws are odd...around here, Massachusetts is sometimes called Taxachusetts, because for some reason that's the perception in New England. But sales tax is only 6.25% (up from 5% a couple of years ago), and doesn't apply to food, wine, or even most clothing (any apparel item under $175 is not taxed). California, on the other hand, taxes nearly everything - clothes, wine, some food (potatoes were not taxed, because food prep is required, but a bag of potato chips was taxed).

So, the issue is that since sales tax is collected by the state, if I order something from B&H (in New York) and it's shipped to me here in MA, B&H has no obligation to collect sales tax for MA (but if the retailer has a brick-and-mortar presence in the state, like Apple which has Apple Stores locally, then they do need to collect the tax even for online purchases shipped in. But, to close that loophole, the states call the tax Sales and Use Tax or something similar, meaning if you buy it out of state for use in the state, you are responsible for paying tax. But for individuals, paying use tax amounts to the honor system...