Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 430 or 580EX II Flash with Canon EF-S 10-22

430 or 580EX II Flash with Canon EF-S 10-22

Hi everyone,

Please can anyone offer any suggestions as to what external flash to use with my 10-22 EF-S lens. I've never used anything beyond my on-camera flash before so have no experience with flashes.

Before buying the 10-22 I'd read up on the reviews and knew I'd probably have to buy an external flash but am undecided on which one - the 430 or 580.

It wouldn't be for studio work, at the moment it would be used primarily for interiors.

Thank you very much.

Re: 430 or 580EX II Flash with Canon EF-S 10-22

Either one is fine; the light output of the 580EX II is greater, obviously, but both have the same width/height of flash coverage. In both cases, with the 10-22mm at the wider end of it's zoom range, you will likely want to bounce the flash off the ceiling or use a diffuser (e.g. Sto-Fen Omni bounce). The other advantage of the 580EX II is it's ability to wirelessly control other flashes; the 430EX II can be controlled (slave), but cannot control (master). But if you're only getting one, either will do to start.

If you have the money get the 580EX II. I got the 430 first and its not that I regret it, but now I am just looking to get the 580 and I would've rather laid out for the bigger flash sooner rather than later.

My 2¢

Welcome to the forum, Charlie!

Both flashes are excellent pieces of equipment. The 580 flash has greater bounce capabilities, can give more overall light, and be used as a master flash. It's also larger, heavier, and of course more expensive. If you can afford the extra 100$ of the 580, I recommend that one as it's a more versatile flash that can be used for countless more purposes than the 430. If the 430 EX is a mercedes, the 580 EX is a ferrari. That, in one sentence pretty much sums up the relationship between the two.

hope this helps...

brendan

Hello Charlie,

I personally have that setup, 430 with the 10-22 and it works great for me. I'm not a studio photographer so I don't need the master wireless feature, I use it mostly for indoor pictures and I never felt like I needed more light.

If you are looking into doing studio in the future then I would say go for the 580.

I just purchased the 430 and I am very happy with it.It does a great job for what i use it for. I am actually not a fan a using a flash but there are times when you need it. I could havespent the money forthe 580 but i just felt for the limited amount of use the flash is going to get (let alone using multiple flashes) it just wasn't worth it for me. I am not a studio photographer so multipleflash unitswere reallynot thatexciting to me.

Ithink it really dependson what your usage is going to be.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattG

Ithink it really dependson what your usage is going to be.

Matt

I completely agree - I prefer ambient lighting whenever possible, and that's why I went with the 430EX II. Instead of buying a more powerful flash, I spent my $ on faster lenses - the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM is the slowest lens in my kit, everything else is f/2.8 or faster.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I completely agree - I prefer ambient lighting whenever possible, and that's why I went with the 430EX II. Instead of buying a more powerful flash, I spent my $ on faster lenses - the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM is the slowest lens in my kit, everything else is f/2.8 or faster.

Excellent point. If one isn't doing strobe work or shooting birds (for birds the extra power of the 580 is necessary), the 430 EX is a very nice choice.

brendan

Same here - I took the extran $$ and put it towards my 17-55 - Iget somuch more enjoyment from the lens than I would a slightly bigger flash.

MattG

The 430EX is nice because it is light and powerful enough for most of what you would want a flash to do, on camera. I actually prefer the 430 for shooting events with on camera shooting just because of it's light weight.

The 580EXII is substantially bigger and heavier. It is more powerful than you will probably need on camera. It is more durable but that may not be a concern in moderate conditions for on camera work. The size does get the light a little more above the axis, but if you are bouncing or diffusing that doesn't matter as much.

Not to stray, but if you are planning to use them off camera someday the durability of the 580s is nice. When lights are on stands, they find ways of falling over occasionally and the 580s will handle quite a bit of abuse. The 430s, not so much.