Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever shot a shuttle launch?

Anybody ever shot a shuttle launch?

So i'm going to try and see the next launch this month, its going to be a night launch around 1 AM. Anybody have and ideas or pointers. The max telephoto I have is 200mm so I would probably rent something longer.

Re: Anybody ever shot a shuttle launch?

i have never shot one but i have always wanted to. I think you will ned at least a 400mm maybe rent like the 400 5.6? or if you have the money the 2.8 or f4? i would love to see the results because it must be hard considering you only have one chance to do it right. good luck

The 500mm f4 is probably your best bet. Probably with a tele converter (1.4x) The shuttle is REALLY far away from where people are allowed. However, metering is going to be tricky, spot metering in manual i would think... Good luck and have fun.

May i recommend inquiring about the lens renting in advance as opposed to 2 days before...

Yea I was just looking at the 500 f/4 on lensrental.com, the viewing site is 6 miles from the pad.

oh wow 6 miles? wow good luck i would rent the 1200 5.6 lol

I'll be praying that the shuttle launches on time so that you can get a chance to photograph it!

I would say at 6 miles you are going to a really long zoom. The problem is, after the shuttle lifts off you may want to have a second camera with a 70-200 or 100-400 to get a little wider perspective. I would think.

The good news is that it's during the day so you can get away with slow apertures.

Yourreally fortunateto get to go. I'd love to be able to see one. That will unfortunately never happen for me.

1 AM is during the day now is it? [:P] Good luck mate - looking forward to seeing some shots.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 11pt;"]Bracket your shots. Issue, once the booster rockets light up you will beunder exposed unless you quickly take brackets in the multi shot mode. You will only have about 15 seconds to get all your shots.<o></o>
    <o></o>

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    1 AM is during the day now is it? [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] Good luck mate - looking forward to seeing some shots.

Woops.......someone got confused. It's not aslight as I think it is at 1 AM.

These are 12 miles away with 40D 100-400 @400mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_4168sm.jpg[/img]

100%

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_4168cr.jpg[/img]