Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 70-200 series lens update?

Canon 70-200 series lens update?

I read a few rumors that Canon would be coming out with a 70-200 update callingthe new models70-200 "II". There was also a rumor about a 24-70 upgrade. Has anyone heard if these rumors are true and if so, when Canon will introduce the new models?

Re: Canon 70-200 series lens update?

The 70-200.. assuming you're talking about the 2.8 IS, I can't see what they'd really change except maybe some new glass and with the fact it's already a pretty penny for the lens who knows.

24-70 I could see them slapping on the new IS possibly? But it's already heavy, so that'd be one crazy heavy walk around lens.

The rumors site is not here, it's at http://www.canonrumors.com.

Canon will announce stuff when Canon will announce stuff. If you want facts, you'll hear it on the news page of Bryan's site. If you want the chitter-chatter leading up to it, keep an ear to the rumors site.

Canon is reportedly making an announcement on 9/29/09. If it's a camera, there are typically 1-3 lenses announced with new cameras. Two EF-S zoom lenses and one EF macro prime got announced with the 7D at the beginning of the month. The 14/2.8II was announced with the 5D2, the EF-S 18-200 was announced with the 50D, etc. If they're ready to update a 70-200, it could include their new Hybrid IS technology; I don't suspect their sub-wavelength coatings would make as much sense in a telephoto lens.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I read the post awhile ago and I can't remember if they were referring to the 2.8 IS or all 4 versions of the 70-200.

If they did release a new2.8 IS I think it would make sense torelease a 2.8 non-IS also, that way if we can't afford the 2.8 IS there is a high qualityalternative.

If I look at this from a company standpoint, i.e. what would make me lots of money, I can totally see the 70-200 2.8 IS getting an update. Put the new IS on it, make it faster maybe if possible, whatever minor improvements they can possibly make. It's "THE" lens for a lot of people and, therefore, a lot of people would gladly trapple each other on the way to the store to get it.

I can't see it getting any faster, not only is there pretty much nill precedence for it the damned thing's already a brick... new IS would make sense, but faster than 2.8? Doubt it.

Now that I put my new body/lens purchases on hold until Spring most likely (if I can hold out that long)... I'm hoping they update the 24-70 to Hybrid IS 2.8 or possibly 2!? But that's me dreaming!

If they release a new 70-200.. I might have to sell mine! But honestly, I'd hope they'd make the 2.8 lighter just a bit.. that thing is a beast to hand hold for awhile!

I have been waiting to buy the 70-200 F4L IS within the next month. I walked into one of the major camera sellers in Australia (Ted's Camera Store) for a price check and they told me this lens is marked as 'runout' on their systems. I told them this must be a mistake and if anything is being 'runout' I would have expected it to be the 2.8 (with perhaps a newer IS). But they insisted if this lens is marked as 'runout' then their product manager knows something. I checked with them and none of the other 70-200 canon series was marked as 'runout'. So that leaves me wondering if I should wait to see if a new version will be announced in the next few weeks (part of me still thinks they made a mistake) ....

i think IS is a great extra to have. if they could put it on all normal lens (50mm) i would take one any time!

the thign i like about it is that you can see it through the viewfinder. i feel very uneasy seeing all this shake w/o IS.

with is, i see slow movements, and makes me sure of myself that i will get a good shot.