Thread: PocketWizard with Canon's IR

PocketWizard with Canon's IR

Hello,

I have one PocketWizard FlexTT5, one PocketWizard MiniTT1, and two of Canon's 580EX flashes that I would like to use together.

How do I set it up so that the MiniTT1 fires the FlexTT5 and then the two 580EX flashes communicate with their native IR communication method? I only have one receiver but two flashes to fire.

Thanks

Re: PocketWizard with Canon's IR

<div>

You can't. You have to have a PocketWizard FlexTT5 for each speedlite; especially if you want to use ETTL or HyperSync(PWs basically deactivate speedlite IR). If you want a cheap manual option you can use a hot shoe optical slave on the one speedlite with no FlexTT5. But you will have to set the speedlites to manual mode (no auto flash exposure). And either use a light meter or experiment with the setting on your camera and speedlites until you get something you like. Note: you'll also have to shoot with the camera in manual mode too for correct exposure; shutter speed will essentially control the amount of ambient lighting exposed in your images (the faster the shutter speed, basically the less ambient light will be exposed in your scene - shutter speed won't have any affect on flash exposure, unless you exceed your camera's x-sync speed is exceed), and aperture will control the flash exposure (the smaller the aperture the less flash exposure - so if you're scene is over exposed you can either close down the aperture, or adjust the power setting on your flash). Some basic rules of thumb.
    </div>

Thanks for replying. Based on my attempts to get this to work, I
    think you are correct. But, it does appear to say (in two places) on
    the PocketWizard site that this can be done.

I think the second quote says that I need a flash mounted to the MiniTT1 to get this to work but I am still a little unclear.

1) Will optical slaves work if one flash is fired with a PocketWizard?

Yes they will.However if you work where others are using flash,
    (weddings, parties, etc.) you are better off using PocketWizard radio
    slaves on all remote flashes to "close off" your lighting system to
    other cameras and flashes.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/support/faq/

2) Can I use the new PocketWizards and the Canon IR system at the same time?

You can use the optical triggering of a 580EX (I or II) or an ST-E2
    in the shoe of a MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 for optically controlling slave
    group A. You cannot use it for slave groups B or C. This is because
    the ControlTL system is reducing the use of flash energy for
    communication so you can trigger more quickly and waste less batteries.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/36/TT1-C/faq/

<div>

<div>
    <div>
    <div>

Note however that "Optical Slave" as mentioned in my original response and PocketWizard FAQ is not the same thing as Canon's Infrared remote system. The PocketWizard FAQ is referring to the built-in optical slave on most studio strobes oraccessoryhot shoe optical slave (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028DM1YA/?tag=sab02-20). It also recommends using PocketWizards for each strobe/flash/Speedlite rather than relying on optical senors (because they make more money that way), and it avoids other shooters or light sources from misfiring your strobe/flash/Speedlite.

If you do place a Speedlite in the hot shoe of the your MiniTT1 mounted to your camera as you suggest you can partially use Canon's Infrared system, however not for triggering, but rather to control Speedlite output ratios. When using PocketWizards in ETTL mode, the flash output is automatically divided evenly between the number of Speedlites/PocketWizards. Using either select Speedlites, Canon ST-E2 transmitter or (soon to be released) PocketWizard ZoneController attached to either a MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 attached to a camera will enable the ability to vary the flash output ratio of two or three zones/groupings. Ratio information is transmitted with via IR, so it requires direct line of site to work and may not work in bright light conditions (e.g. sunlight).
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

</div>

OHHHhhhhhhhh! I see exactly what you are talking about now. The "optical slave" part was the part that wasn't clicking for me. The amazon link you sent helped.

I am new to this lighting stuff so, thank you for the clarification.