Thread: Self Portrait?

Self Portrait?

I feel stupid for asking this question, but I just have a hard problem doing a self portrait. In terms of releasing the shutter how do you guys do this? Wireless remote, cable release, self timer? Cable release is never long enough and with the self timer how do you get the focus correct? With a Canon XS, I do not have wireless capability. Seriously doing a self portrait as totally baffled me for the past few months.

Re: Self Portrait?

Place somethingin the same place you'd like to beand focus on that item. Then turn off autofocus. Set the timer to 10 seconds, then replace the item with yourself.

Else, there's a slightly more complicated method using a Cybersync trigger, Cybersync receiver, and a motor cord while having the camera set to Al Servo focus. But this method does allow you to take multiple pictures wirelessly without having to walk to the camera after every shot.

Get a partner to press the button

But in all honesty.. I don't even know how to use my camera (40D) self timer? Does it even have one? It's like LiveView aka LCD Shooting! I don't know how to even turn that on, I'm too lazy to sit down and read at times.. plus never use it.

As for getting focus correct, you could focus on something in particular in the area you'd be sitting/standing/etc?

If all else fails, get your partner/friend/etc to pose where you wish, get the shot setup and have them press the button!

I put a big toy where I was sitting and focused on it, used self-timer, then I replaced the toy with yours truly and voila', self portrait...

Now what about when you want to do a head-shot self portrait? Focusing on something else and then taking its place doesn't work to well at that distance and with maximum aperture. Do I just have to give up on maximum apertures?

Wireless remote + HDMI + 22" HDTV + liveview = very easy self-portraits. That's what I used for this one:

I use my laptop and connect it to my 40D with a USB cable. That lets me have a LiveView-like screen which is the size of my laptop, and I can use the mouse to take the shot from inside the Canon Utilities. I have only done it a couple of times for learning purposes, but it works exceptionally well.

using the EOS Utility app? I used that before I got a wireless, same setup you described, and it worked great.

Now that I have a wireless system it's even easier. The transmitter has a focus button so it's a cinch to get it right. You can rattle off as many poses as you like, focussing in between each shot. I give up the live view and just shoot, and I think my shots are better now. Used to be I was constantly looking at the monitor, trying to pose a certain way...