Thread: Help with choice of lens-hood

Help with choice of lens-hood

Hello All,

I recently acquired an 85 1.8. Thanks to Canon policy of not including any lens-hood, I was looking at buying one when I discovered that my old 28-85 mm (Standard lens of my EOS 100) had a ET-65II lens-hood that fits the 85 1.8 perfectly.

Am I missing something here by not getting the ET-65 III that is the recommended lens-hood of the 85 1.8?

Thanks

Najib

Re: Help with choice of lens-hood

Unless the ET-65 II is shorter than the ET-65 III there's not much differance between the two.

Butif itfits I'd use it,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Najib
    I discovered that my old 28-85 mm (Standard lens of my EOS 100) had a ET-65II lens-hood

Are you sure it's the ET-65, and not the EW-65? You may have discovered that hood on that lens, but that's not the hood that was designed for that lens. Hoods for zoom lenses are designed to protect from flare at the wide end, not the long end (else, they would vignette at the wide end; the exception is the 24-70mm f/2.8L with a reverse-zoom, so the hood is effective over the whole zoom range). Canon hoods are named EW, ES, or ET (W = wide, S = standard, T = telephoto). So, any hood designed for a 28mm lens (including zooms that start at wide angles) will be EW hoods.

But, whatever the reason, if you have an ET-65 II hood, it will work on the 85mm f/1.8 just as well as an ET-65 III. Of course, even an ET-65 III is not going to fully protect an 85mm f/1.8 from flare unless you're using it on a FF body. If you have an EW-65 II hood, using that on an 85mm lens is better than nothing, but not really going to offer much in the way of flare protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Najib
    Am I missing something here by not getting the ET-65 III that is the recommended lens-hood of the 85 1.8?

The only thing you're missing is the flocking. The number is the diameter of the hood mount (65mm in this case), and Roman numerals after the number indicate a modification to the characteristics of the hood but not to the length or shape. If there's a letter after the number, it's a different shape (e.g. the ET-65B, which is intended for the 70-300mm zoom). In this case, I believe the ET-65 II has a simple plastic interior, while the ET-65 III has flocking on the inside to reduce reflections.

You are right [:$]. The lens hood was with another of the EOS 100 lenses namely the 70-210 mm, I still have the lens hood but I have since offered the two lenses to a friend who could not afford to buy new ones.

Thanks for the answers, I will stick with this hood and save my money for other accessories.

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy your 85mm f/1.8!