Thread: In boston with 40D and nifty-fifty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In boston with 40D and nifty-fifty

Hey gang,

I'll be in boston w/40d and nifty fifty and will have an hour or two in the evening (probably just after dark) and/or very early morning (5:00 to 7:00?) to bop around and shoot. My hotel is just off Boston Common near the Emerson College campus. Any place you would send me?

Mark

Re: In boston with 40D and nifty-fifty

Mark.... easy walking distance; head over to the Common and Garden. I don't know what time they shut down the Swan boats, you may get lucky, but both places have quite a few photo ops.

Walk over the Arthur Fiedler bridge (at the set of lights where Storrow Dr. enters Beacon St.) and
    take some pics from the banks of the Charles River....maybe some rowers will be out and you'll have a nice sunset to light them with.

Head up to Beacon Hill and walk the streets and alley ways....great urban photo ops (gas street lamps, etc.)....then drop down the hill to Faneuil Hall for shots w/people and buildings. Cross the street towards the Aquarium...take a few pics of the docks and boats, turn around and get a city scape at sunset. Make sure to capture Custom House Clock Tower when it's lit up. Stop at Christopher Columbus park.

If you have your walking shoes on head over to the North End; Paul Revere house, Old North Church and some great food.

On your way back, stop at the Bull and Finch (Cheers) for a pint....it's on the corner where Storrow Drive comes into a Beacon and only a few hundred (or less) yards from Emerson.

I could con't. but you've run out of time....[]

Good luck and post some pics

Bill

Bill, those are some great suggestions for Mark but I think he would run out of time after going over to the Charles River! The Swan boats, which are a highlight of the Public Garden, are generally open from 10am-4 or 5pm (Always nice to incorporate them with shots of the public garden) Mark, if you are going to be in town for a couple of days then Bill's suggestions would cover most of the common photo highlights in the city.

As Bill had suggested get a pic of the Custom House Clockabout 20-30minsafter sunset, when it is lit up and the sky is almost a sapphire blue...

Happy shooting!

BTW, Bill, I know this is a bit of an odd question, but have you ever been to Lawrence, MAbefore?

Bill....yeah, I knew I was overloading, for each area can take up a lot of time. But it gives him options and I bet he extends his shooting window of time. []

Well kind of odd in the sense....what do you want to photograph (assumption) there?

I currently live in Haverhill and Lawrence is 5 minutes away. I have to admit, other than the old mill area along the Merrimack River, I haven't thought of shooting there.

Sorry, I was just curious if I've met you before at Lawrence General Hospital a few years back that's all... I have actually shot along the Merrimack River before at sunset and the clock tower there, along with the outlines of the mill bldgs are pretty interesting, but other than that, Lawrence is a tough sell for a shooting location as you already know...[]