Thread: Please help identify this crawler

Please help identify this crawler

Good day!

While I was waiting to take photos of butterflies yesterday, I noticed this black crawling thing which I thought is a caterpillar of some specie. So instead of butterfly photo taking, I diverted myself to this crawler.

And this morning, I found three in the garden and placed them in a glass enclosure with twigs and fresh leaves.. I thought of rearing it (I would like to start a butterfly garden and I guess this would be a start) []

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: Please help identify this crawler

Hi Mr. Greenbug:

I looked through all of my reference material of North America and could not find a thing. So I thought maybe this crawler was native to someplace else. When I looked to see who started the thread I saw it was you & I know you are in Manila as I had looked up you Bio before. My wife is from Cebu one of her brothers lives and works in Manila so I made note that you lived in the Philippines. I would suggest that you look at local refence material to see if you can identify it. If you do I would love to know what it is.

Do you know of Romy Ocon? This is his birds of the Philippines web site. Quit an accomplished photographer in my opinion. Does very nice work with Canon Prosumer equipment and the Sigmonster. In any event Myun Boontang, ( Vasian and I know the language is Tagalog in the Manila Area so I'm not sure if you get that, means good morning and I probably got the spelling wrong ) and we will be over there next winter. Catch you on the flip-side.

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/philippine_wild_birds

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Re: Please help identify this crawler

Hi Wayne! Thank you so much for effort. I did look through the Internet though I didn't find anything quite similar to it. I guess I need to follow on your suggestion on looking for local species. Yes, I am from Manila, Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

Do you know of Romy Ocon? This is his birds of the Philippines web site. Quit an accomplished photographer in my opinion. Does very nice work with Canon Prosumer equipment and the Sigmonster. In any event Myun Boontang, ( Vasian and I know the language is Tagalog in the Manila Area so I'm not sure if you get that, means good morning and I probably got the spelling wrong ) and we will be over there next winter. Catch you on the flip-side.

Wayne
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sorry, I don't know Romy but his name looks familiar maybe I have read about him in one of the local forums here. This may sound silly but I really don't know much about (Visayan dialect) and Maayun buntag (I don't know how to spell it either).. [] is good morning.. I just hear sometimes in the local news.

See you when I see you! Next winter then that would be our summer here! Heading out the beaches of Cebu???

Thank you again for checking out on my little crawler.

Cheers!

- Angelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com