Thread: All Sears Portrait Studios Closed

All Sears Portrait Studios Closed

I just read the article about all Sears Portrait Studios and Walmart Picture Me Studios have closed without warning. Thoughts on why? Is it because everyone has a camera nowadays? With these chains closing, will this help private photography businesses or is the "everyone is a photographer" syndrome these days going to continue to hurt everyone?

Personally, I didn't think my photos of the wedding I shot last year were that bad but I ended up not selling a single one to family members or guests and I think it was because every single person there had a camera of some sort!

Here's a link to the article about Sears Portrait Studio closing ...

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...Qn8rXLecw.cspx

Re: All Sears Portrait Studios Closed

I read the same. I think the family portrait trend has changed. People want on location, situational portraits. Not so much in studio with the same boring lighting scheme.

That being said, I don't make money from prints either, so I started offering those at cost. People want pics for Facebook.. As a result all my money is made in sitting fees.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Traditional photography sales is well past its prime.
    Weddings and senior photos are the last public arena for sales.
    To survive you are going to have to be really really really exceptional, average just wont make it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Personally, I didn't think my photos of the wedding I shot last year were that bad but I ended up not selling a single one to family members or guests and I think it was because every single person there had a camera of some sort!
    I just received an order from a customer I had two years ago.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I just received an order from a customer I had two years ago.
    OMG! I sure hope they don't come at me a year from now wanting to order! The only reason I paid another year membership for my website was because of their photos being on their and being sold through MPIX. It was the last thing I should have spent any money on right now but I didn't have much of a choice. I didn't plan on keeping the site after this year's subscription is up though but then their packages and pricing will be gone also. I sure wish I would have put some sort of time frame on the availability of the photos online.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I read the same. I think the family portrait trend has changed. People want on location, situational portraits. Not so much in studio with the same boring lighting scheme.
    We take the girls to a portrait studio once a year. I've got a better camera and lens, equivalent lighting and a backdrop setup at home. So why the studio? They've got one thing I don't - live bunnies for Easter portraits.

(Maybe there's a business opportunity there - bunny rentals for the home photogs? )

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    (Maybe there's a business opportunity there - bunny rentals for the home photogs? )

I could see bunnies, Santa Claus, maybe a great pumpkin patch.....but the real trick would be to have a real leprachaun

BTW....it does strike me as a little odd that the stores are closing as I know several people that still use these services and you have to think the cost to the store is next to nothing. But, hopefully it means a bit of an uptick in business for photo pros.

We take the girls to a portrait studio once a year. I've got a better camera and lens, equivalent lighting and a backdrop setup at home. So why the studio? They've got one thing I don't - live bunnies for Easter portraits.

Oh man! That's a great idea. Haha.

Really though, I'd rent.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Don't laugh. I have a cousin who rents peeps for Easter shots. He gets them from a local farmer, including a small container with heat lamps. The peeps are nice. They just stand there and look cute. Bunnies will run away.

By the way, he told me that business is down for senior and family portraits. He's got a great studio, top notch Canon gear. He does studio and outside shots. He shows up at a favorite spot outside, and there are 20 other photographers milling around.

I think one of the problems is that anyone with a decent camera and lens, and a basic knowledge of post processing, will forego the professional due to cost, especially in this economy. And, when you have part-time photographers, who have everyday jobs, that also thins the pro's available herd.