Thread: Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX

Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX

Anyone familiar with this light? Is it a wireless master? It seems to suggest that it is in the description on 430EXs and a Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2.I'm now wanting a fourth flash, possibly a 580EX/580EX II. I think the ST-E2.

Opinions?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Canon U.S.A.[/b]]Supports E-TTL Wireless Autoflash in conjunction with one or more 550EXs.

I'm assuming at the time the specs were written the 550EXwas the only wireless capable flash?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Canon U.S.A.[/b]]Supports E-TTL Wireless Autoflash in conjunction with one or more 550EXs.

I'm assuming at the time the specs were written the 550EXwas the only wireless capable flash?

Yes.

Anyone familiar with this light? Is it a wireless master?

I do not own one, but yes, it can function as a master flash.

IF, it is at least as capable as aST-E2.

As far as I can remember, the ST-E2 can control two groups of flashes (A & B). The 580EX/580EX control three. (A, B, & C). I do not know how many the MR-14EX can control, but the Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX can control three (A, B, & C).

Anyone familiar with this light? Is it a wireless master? It seems to suggest that it is in the description on 430EXs and a Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2.I'm now wanting a fourth flash, possibly a 580EX/580EX II. I think the ST-E2.

Opinions?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I also think that this would be a cool set-up. It could essentially duo as a make-shift portrait ring-flash. The biggest problem I see is that it only "Attaches directly to EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro (both versions), and MP-E 65mm Macrophoto Lenses (can also be used with EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM via Macrolite Adapter 72C)". There's an adapter to mount it to the EF 180mm f/3.5L but that lenshas 72mm threads. The only lenses I'd be interested in mounting this to (when not actually doing macro photography) would have 77mm threads. On top of that its guide number (unlike the 430EX &amp; 580EX) is measured in feet instead of meters. Unless you can shoot at f/2.8 you better be VERY close to your subject. I guess if it's more for fill or those cool circular catch lights you may get a little more wiggle room there but I would concerned with power. I may be wrong though since I am only beginning to understandflash photography[]

On a side note theExpoimaging Ray Flash Adapter for Canon 580EX states that "The Ray Flash results in minimal light loss from your flash's standard output". Can anyone verify this (Keith B)? Also, has anyone used this as a macro ring-light?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    I may be wrong though since I am only beginning to understandflash photography[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]Me too.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]The Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX pretty much lost meonce Ifigured out that one side is "A" the other is "B" and any ratios you used with you off camera flashes would be tied into that, and of course it's limited lens applications you mentioned.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I'm now leaning toward getting an 430EXs below the camera attached to the tripod mount. I'll slot it in case oneday I get a 580EX/580EX II but, for now, (After the [url="http://www.orbisflash.com/]Orbis[/url])I'm content with my lighting kit.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I think I want a CanonEF 85mm f/1.8 USM next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

On a side note theExpoimaging Ray Flash Adapter for Canon 580EX states that "The Ray Flash results in minimal light loss from your flash's standard output". Can anyone verify this (Keith B)? Also, has anyone used this as a macro ring-light?

The Ray Flash claims to loose just 1 stop and I would agree that this is pretty true give or take. When attached to a 580EXII it is still a lot of power. I can blow out a room at f/8 200 ISO David Lachapelle style with it. The only issue with the Ray Flash is a lens shorter than 3.5" is going to be too short and you will get ghosting and flare from it.