Thread: Buying a new Canon (probably APS-C) some question and doubts

Buying a new Canon (probably APS-C) some question and doubts

Hi all!

Actually, i'm using the Canon 600D that we gifted to my father for his 60th birthday! (i know 60D could have been more appropriate but :-p)

My actual lens park is:

(family use)
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm F 3.5-5.6 IS II
    Canon EF 70-300 mm f/4-5,6 IS USM

(bought by my own)
    Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

I have started studying and practicing photography since the early of this year, and i found the Canon 600D very good for my shooting purposes.

I love landscapes, little nature views, or some nice particulars that i see around.

Sometimes i will shoot at sport events, but nothing serious.

But, there is a but, the camera is property of my father also if he uses it just rarely.

I would like to buy a new camera for me.

I readed comparison, reviews and some other stuffs.

And the 60D was the camera that, for the affordable price & characteristics, was close to my interests.

When i will lose the 600D, i also will lose the standard kit lens, so i would like to replace it with the

Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 Not Stabilized version

All around, with a 800-850 euro i should be able to buy a 60D + Tamron lens.

So, with the:

10-18
    17 - 50
    70 - 300

I will "cover" nearly all the angles that i would like to shoot.

And that is good.

My doubt is: photography has been very important to me lately. I mean, i don't want it as a work, but it has replaced for me the same satisfaction that i use to get when i play an instrument.

So, yeah... it mean something to me.

I also checked the chance to get a FF camera, and the 6D seems the good-affordable solution.

My doubt are the lenses. They are pretty expensive, and also the camera body is around 1300 euros.

I'm not looking for used products, too many bad experience.

To cover my "range of interest ranges"

10-18
    17 - 50
    70 - 300

Probably i have only: 40mm and 70-300mm

I would lose a wide-angle lens (10-18) which i can substitute with a fixed focal lens (Samyang? 14mm) with a moderated price, and i need a general purpose lens like a 24-105 that is cheap for the lens, but not cheap in general.

The passage to a full frame is something around (1300 + 350 (14mm?) + 550 -> ) around 2200 euros, which is a great difference to 850 euros.

Obviously the FF have many advantages. The overall quality, the high-iso noise reduction.

Do you think that this should be worth?

Mantaining the APS-C also means that my lens will be compatible with my father camera.

I know that before of a good equipment comes a good photographer, and before a good camera a good lens, but is a forum, so... i would like to hear your opinion.

Thank you all
    Last edited by jamsus; 09-03-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

You can be more creative with the 6D if you understand the difference between the two bodies.

I pick up my FF body when I want better IQ, more control on the DOF and lower noise.

If you understand how to make those things happen then it may be worth it to you. You should also plan on buying some of those expensive lenses you are talking about, they will be required to push the camera to its limit.

I suppose i can wait a few years for a FF, maybe i need to understand better photography before that step.

In the meanwhile, i can study, and i can deposit apart some money for that

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    Yes, that is likely what we all need to do. I finally got past my Gear Acquisition Syndrome and I am finding that learning is MUCH more important.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    I suppose i can wait a few years for a FF, maybe i need to understand better photography before that step.

That is the path I think the majority of us have taken. I started with the 7D. And you can take excellent photos with cropped sensor cameras.

I will say, I think FF is becoming more affordable. It depends upon your budget, but, as long as sports/wildlife are not your main subjects, but if you could pull off the 6D with a kit lens (24-70 f/4 or 24-105), I think you will find that to be an excellent combination. For something longer you could get the 70-200 f/4 (non-IS) if you are on a budget, or, honestly, their are some affordable 75-300 mm lenses that could suffice for a number of years.

Also, regarding FF lenses. I have been doing well with Canon refurbs. I have now picked up two lenses, the 40 mm pancake and the 24-70 ii from the refurbished store and both are excellent. At least here in the US (I don't know about Italy), if you watch you can get a 15-20% sale on the refurbished priced. I used canonpricewatch.com to send me emails of the sale.

So, that may be a way to make FF more affordable. But, as I said, starting with a good cropped sensor camera and good EFS lenses is an excellent place to start grow and, for many people, finish.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    That is the path I think the majority of us have taken. I started with the 7D. And you can take excellent photos with cropped sensor cameras.

I will say, I think FF is becoming more affordable. It depends upon your budget, but, as long as sports/wildlife are not your main subjects, but if you could pull off the 6D with a kit lens (24-70 f/4 or 24-105), I think you will find that to be an excellent combination. For something longer you could get the 70-200 f/4 (non-IS) if you are on a budget, or, honestly, their are some affordable 75-300 mm lenses that could suffice for a number of years.

Also, regarding FF lenses. I have been doing well with Canon refurbs. I have now picked up two lenses, the 40 mm pancake and the 24-70 ii from the refurbished store and both are excellent. At least here in the US (I don't know about Italy), if you watch you can get a 15-20% sale on the refurbished priced. I used canonpricewatch.com to send me emails of the sale.

So, that may be a way to make FF more affordable. But, as I said, starting with a good cropped sensor camera and good EFS lenses is an excellent place to start grow and, for many people, finish.

Good luck.
    Thank you for your considerations, i tought about them for some days and probably i will be oriented on a 60D + Tamron 17-50 (non VC).

And then shoot and study for some years, before thinking about changing the sensor.

Thank you all

Jamsus

Have you considered the mirrorless cameras coming out recently? They are delivering great images in a smaller less expensive package. Not the greatest for sports yet but eminently usable for landscape and portrait work. There are a growing number of pros that have changed over for the size and weight advantages when travelling. If I were starting all over from scratch there is a good chance my kit would look a lot different, and weigh a LOT less, than it does now.

I studied the Olympus park (mainly omd-e5\10 and some lensens) and i also tried in some session the e5 by a friend that have it.

I really liked it, but... for me, for my idea of travel and shoot the digital reflex is ok. I got no problem with lens change so...

My real "doubt" is... okay, invest now on a FF and work on optics, or stay with APS-C and work on optics.

Jamsus