Thread: EF 24-105mm f/4L Noisy IS?!

EF 24-105mm f/4L Noisy IS?!

Hi all,

Just a question regarding the IS on the 24-105. I have this lens on my 5D II and have recently realized that the IS is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than the IS on my EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM (a much "cheaper" lens)I use with my XT.....I didn't expect it to be so loud. It functions great though, no problems there with dampening shakey hands.

Has anyone had this experience with their 24-105?

I look forward to your help!

Damian

Re: EF 24-105mm f/4L Noisy IS?!

Audible noise is hard to judge on an internet forum. [:P]

Mine seems pretty quiet, relatively speaking. I can hear it start up and stop, but not really hear the operation. Keep in mind that the IS elements in the 24-105mm f/4 are larger than those in the 'cheaper' variable aperture zoom, and bigger elements require bigger motors to move them. By comparison, but 100-400mm is pretty easily audible during operation, as well as at start/stop. My 100mm L Macro and 70-200mm II have quieter start/stop sounds than my 24-105mm.

Thanks neuro. Makes sense with the larger motors. I talked with Canon, the noise is normal I

I wouldnt say its loud, you can feel it kicking in, then the sound travels threw you to make it seem loud, but i will say it is louder than 70-200 II