Thread: Ended up going with 60mm macro. Bee!

Ended up going with 60mm macro. Bee!

So, I ended up going with the 60mm EF-S macro instead of the 100mm. Maybe some day I'll get it, but for now the 60mm is awesome. Here's a pic. It's not the best, but it's still leagues ahead of what a normal lens can do.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.55/Bee2.jpg[/img]

Re: Ended up going with 60mm macro. Bee!

That's sick - and I mean that in a good way! The color is really great and you can count the hairs on the bee - awesome. How close were you?

I've been debating the same purchase for 2 weeks. B&H has the 100 back in stock now, so Sunday morning it's either that or the 60!

Thanks for posting this - great timing for me. Looks like no matter which one I choose, I'll be happy with it.

Nice work - thanks again!

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Thanks! Yeah I probably should have been stopped down a bit. I was shooting at 2.8 and I really didn't need to be. It was bright, and trying to chase the bee around the flowers was tough believe it or not! haha So, it would have been a little sharper, and maybe a little more in focus because when you are that close you move a millimeter and you lose it.

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]That's a 100% crop from a 50D.

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]So, I ALMOST went with the 100mm. The reasons I didn't were A: 60 was a tad cheaper, and at the moment that $130 dollar difference is actually pretty large at the moment (silly me having to get the 17-55 2.8 is ) and I wanted a little more handholdability. If I had the money flowing freely, I MAY have gone with the 100? Maybe? But the fact that I can use it as a portrait lens, and inside in a tiny bit lower light hand held was a big reason I stuck with the 60. You can get closer, but you can't always get further away.

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]But yeah, no matter what you get, you're going to be taking pictures of every little thing you never even cared about.

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Oh, I was in the 10-12 inch distance I believe. She'll focus about 6 or 7 from what I remember.

Congrats on your purchase. If insects are your interest, you may start thinking about the 180mm as your future purchase. The Sigma 180 is a wonderful lens and a lot more affordable than the Canon 180mm. Keep in mind a 1:1 ratio is just that - regardless of focal length. The longer focal lengths primarily and simply afford you a longer working distance from the subject. For flora, the 100mm works very well for me but I don't think if I had a 60mm I'd make the jump to a 100. For insects, I'm very happy to have the 180mm as my 100mm just forces me to get too close. In fact, many people use the 300 f/4 w &amp; w/o extension tubes for insects.

As you play with your new lens, I think you'll find anything less than f/8 is going to have a DOF that's just too thin. I can get away with f/8 but only when my camera is dead parallel to the object and that object doesn't have any protruding parts. Usually, I'm in the f/14 - f/18 range. For flora, this means tripod, mirror lock up and remote release. For insects this means great lighting or flash or high ISO's. Just some things to think about as you get started. Good Luck, macro photography is a lot of fun.

Here is an example shot with the 100-400mm @ 320mm f/8

Yeah, I'll definitely keep a 180 in mind for the future. Insects WEREn't my thing....but thinking of over twice the magnification on the bee I took makes me really start thinking about it. haha Plus, I got that close to a bee, but they are easy. Bumbles fly around and leave you alone, but don't scare off. Some other things will get away quick.

Thanks for your tips there. I knew right off 2.8 was way out of whack, I just tossed it on, and was excited for the few minutes I had. I'll try to find the bees again with an 8 or so on the aperture setting.

I'm going to get a 100-400 next year. (Kinda waiting to see if the "new" version of that lens is an accurate rumor) So it'll be nice to be able to use that to get a little closer.

Thanks again!