Thread: to DO or not to DO

to DO or not to DO

I had just decided on my lens puchase after asking my 'to IS or not to IS' post (70-200) when silly me I decided to scan the net for reviews of the 70-300 DO lens. It is a real mixed bag of reviews.

My Applications: During weekends I just like to click. On vacations & trips I do a little more composing.

This is not a question about the DO versus the standard 70-300, but more of a question about the DO versus the 70-200 f/4 based on the stated applictions.

What are opinions of the 70-300 DO lense. (or is 'DO' a fourletterword?)

Thanks.

Re: to DO or not to DO

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    DO versus the 70-200 f/4 based on [weekends and vacations].

70-200 f/4 IS: 7 inches long and everything you could ever want in a lens.

70-300 DO: 4 inches long and poor image quality, few features.

The 70-300 DO is only for people who absolutely must save 3 inches, no matter the cost.

Yup after more investigating and looking at the ISO cropshere, DO is DONE!

I have a 70-200. In my case it's the big boy, the 2.8 IS, but to me the answer is clear and simple: if I have a 70-200L, the only reason I'd put my hands on a 70-300DO is to rent, and if so it'd only be for travel purposes to blend in better or if the 70-200 had to go in for service and I had a need for a telephoto.

However, I do hear the 400 DO is quite good, and serves very well as a hand-holdable super-telephoto. It's high on 'to rent' list for our next sailing trip.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    DO versus the 70-200 f/4 based on [weekends and vacations].

70-200 f/4 IS: 7 inches long and everything you could ever want in a lens.

70-300 DO: 4 inches long and poor image quality, few features.

The 70-300 DO is only for people who absolutely must save 3 inches, no matter the cost.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Agree, the "DO" is pretty much for people who MUST save that 3 inches of length; or it's just a show of technology for Canon (rather unsuccessful). I have the 70-200/4L IS, and I cannot get happier with it! If you occasionally need 300mm, the 1.4x helps too.

Dont DO it

I had the 70-300 DO, thinking that it would be a good lens to have for times when I needed a light lens when traveling. After using it several times I was so disappointed with the image quality that I sold it. I would rather carry heavy equipment and get good quality images than carry light equipment an get mediocre ones. I would recommend against the DO.