Thread: Looking for a camera bag to take on portrait/wedding shoots

Looking for a camera bag to take on portrait/wedding shoots

Hey all,

I recently just picked up a 5DII and a 24-70L, which means that my old camera bag is officially way too small. I am looking for a good bag to replace it with.

I am split between wanting a backpack or a shoulder bag. I've been looking at Lowepro's lineup (my wife has a Lowepro Primus, which is a bit too small to carry all my gear), which seems pretty nice.

• 5DII
    • 24-70L

• <meta charset="utf-8" />
      extra lens or two (room for upgrading)
    • 1 or 2 Speedlites (depends on the shoot)
    • accessorieslike memory cards, Cybersyncs w/ cables, etc
    • possibly umbrellas and stands, though these could be carried outside the bag when I need to lug them with

My main goal is a combination of ease and comfort. I am hopefully going to start shooting on-location portraits, probably mostly seniors to start out, but also weddings if I can get some gigs. I need a bag that is easy to carry and won't get in my way, but that will fit all my gear.

I've looked at the Lowepro Nova, Flipside, Fastpack, and Classified. All seem like good choices, I was just hoping to get some opinions from more experienced photographers one what the best options are.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $100 (save the big bucks for the things that improve my pictures, it is just a bag after all).

Re: Looking for a camera bag to take on portrait/wedding shoots

I'd suggest the Lowepro Flipside 400AW.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400-AW,2116,14.htm

It's a bit more than you want to spend $149 in both the US and Canada but I think it would be worth the extra money.

It holds like 4 extra lenses and has a front pocket for you personal stuff. A standard tripod holder in the centre of the bag, but on the side are two mesh pockets with clip-straps. So you could theoretically stuff your lighting stands into the mesh pockets and secure them with the clip-straps. That way you can carry everything in one bag (hopefully).

Hope this helps,

-Mike

I have and really like the Lowepro Flipside 400AW (and a couple of other Lowepro bags, too). TheFlipside400AW holds an impressive amount of gear -I can carry a gripped 7D, two white zooms (100-400mm, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS MkII) and 4 black lenses (10-22mm, 17-55mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm L Macro) all with hoods, plus a 1.4x Extender II and a 430EX II. The various filters (CPL, NDs), cables, cleaning supplies, etc., go in the front pocket.

That's probably a bit big for your collection - the Flipside 300 might be a better fit, both for your gear and your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    I am split between wanting a backpack or a shoulder bag. ...My main goal is a combination of ease and comfort.

Like many choices with photo gear (and in life), that's going to involve some compromise. A shoulder/sling bag is not going to be comfortable when worn for long periods with relatively heavy gear (the 24-70mm is called 'the wedding brick' for a reason). A backpack-style bag will be more comfortable to wear, but less convenient.

For comfort, don't forget about the camera strap, either. Based on recommendations here, I picked up a BlackRapid strap - it's great, and much more comfortable than a neck strap. I can put the strap over my shoulder, then put the backpack on over that. With the Flipside, to change lenses I pull the camera up and to the side, then slide the bag off one shoulder and pull it around the other side so it flips down (as designed) and provides a platform for changing lenses on-the-fly. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Hello realityinabox!

I have Lowepro SlingShot 300. This model has enough space to keep your combo plus 3-4 flashes, plus something else.

I agree with neuroanatomist that backpack is more comfortable for long-distance transportation - if you walk a lot with your gear packed.

But SlingShot is still very useful if:

a) you don't have to carry your gear for few miles by feet;

b) you want to be always ready for grab shot while going to wedding shooting. It is so easy to extract camera from a sling bag.

regards,

Alex.

I am split between wanting a backpack or a shoulder bag

I have a Canon backpack that would handle all you gear for $35-$45, but would prolly steer you away from it.<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I've never shot weddings, so I don't know the protocol.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Do you change lens around a lot on the move, or do you just take the gear to a central location?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] A backpack is great if your just hauling stuff from one point to another or just laying it on the ground opened up for extended periods of time while taking group shots outside or whatever.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If you&rsquo;re swapping lens all the time while walking, it sucks.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I can't tell you how many leaches, ants, and crap (figuratively of course) I've had to knock off after just laying it down long enough to change a lens over and get some shots off.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] And if the ground is wet or muddy, then so will your back be the next time you strap it on.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] That's okay for hiking, but if your trying to look all suave...not so much.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Don't get me wrong, the backpack I picked up is great for what it's meant for, but I will more than likely be getting something along the &ldquo;flipside&rdquo; line the next time.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I am split between wanting a backpack or a shoulder bag.

Although not as difficult as world peace, it's certainly a tough decision. We have four carrying devices, and I/we choose amongst them based on the job:

LowePro Nature Trekker (medium backpack, goes 60% of the time)

LowePro Slingshot 200 (sling bag, goes 40% of the time)

LowePro Deluxe Belt with Suspenders (goes 20% of the time, with a subset of LensCase 4, LensCase 2, Utility Pack, FilmDrop, Pouch 50, and Water Bottle Holder)

Older Tamrac 614 (shoulder bag, not well sized for L glass but works well for bodies and flashes, goes maybe 15% of the time).

The backpack is my go-to bag, and the Slingshot is her go-to bag (but she wants a backpack for short people instead). The belt gets used on "mobile" jobs where I can't/won't leave a camera bag in one spot and/or when I want to hang cameras from my shoulders and not my neck (and the backpack becomes my "extra gear storage bin)" then). The shoulder bag NEVER goes out as a primary bag (part for comfort, part for its size issues), but works as her "extra gear storage bin" when needed.

None of my bags will hold stand/umbrella inside. I ball-bungee them together and carry them in one hand. I should do the strobist thing and shoulder-carry them. *shrug*.

I have a LowePro Photo Trekker (next size up after Nature Trekker) en route, so I'm ready for a rented 500 this summer. That's a sign that backpack is the most functional for me; if I need stuff more accessible, I shift cases/pouches from the belt onto the backpack belt.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.