Thread: Trying to find the right CPL for the EF-S 18-135 STM

Trying to find the right CPL for the EF-S 18-135 STM

My wife has the EF-S 18-135 STM lens and I want to buy her a CPL. It's a wide angle lens so I don't want her to have to worry about seeing the edge of the filter but I also want her to be able to put a lens cap on if needed.

Does anyone know if this CPL fits that? B+W 67mm Circular Polarizer SC Filter

If not, what do you recommend?
    --

Hi, I have no experience of that particular CPL or that particular lens, but I'm pretty sure there will be no "mechanical vignetting" - 18 mm isn't extremely wide, and the 67 mm size helps. (I have used a similar CPL on the 18-55 kit lens with 58 mm filter thread without vignetting.)

What could be a problem is if you regularly keep a UV filter on and don't bother removing it before attaching the CPL. With stacked filters you may experience dark corners at 18 mm. What you could do is to stack a couple of filters (UV, ND etc) on the lens to check when vignetting occurs. (Provided you have a couple of 67 mm filters of some kind.)

As a side note I have the EF-S 10-22 with a permanently mounted 77 mm UV-filter. Someteimes I use a standard CPL without removing the UV filter first. With stacked filters I see the filter ring at focal lengths 10-12 mm. On the other hand I rarely use the CPL at focal lengths below 15 mm so it isn't really an issue with respect to vignetting. (I suppose IQ is degraded to some extent with stacked filters but that's hardly noticeable.)