Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy: Cheap studio backgrounds

Where to buy: Cheap studio backgrounds

Hello all,

December 12, of 2009 I will be participating in the Help_Portrait movement. I'm pretty much good on my portable studio setup, but I need a background. I'm thinking a white one and a black one. I know muslins are commonly used, so I was thinking about getting a white one at Joann. I cannot however, find a material to make a black background. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time/any suggestions,

-Rodger

Re: Where to buy: Cheap studio backgrounds

get a role of black seamless paper. I think 54" are about $35 at B&H.

Thanks Keith!

I've only worked with a roll of "banner paper" from walmart before. Is the paper from bh reusable? Or does it basically tear like any other paper?

Probably a dumb question, but before I let go of $45 for 107"x12yds of paper, I had to ask. In your opinion, would a 10x12 muslin from B&H for $60 be better? 15 more dollars for most likely a more reusable product..

Thanks again,

-Rodger

I use mine over and over. The only time I tear off is if it gets damaged or soiled. You can go with muslin too. I didn't realize they were that cheap. I've only ever priced them at a local shop here. I would think the big difference between paper and muslin is paper will reflect alot of light and muslin will absorb it and the muslin will obviously have a texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    December 12, of 2009 I will be participating in the Help_Portrait movement.

What is the Help_Portrait movement?

www.help-portrait.com

Help-Portrait is basically giving free portraits to people that are not as fortunate this Christmas. I'm partnering with a women's shelter to provide free Christmas portraits for the women there. I hope that it will be a blessing especially to single mothers that cant otherwise afford a nicely done Christmas portrait. Below is from the HP website.

"The brainchild of celebrity photographer Jeremy Cowart, Help-Portrait is a movement of photographers, coming together in every major city, to use their photography skills to give back to the community. On December 12th, photographers around the world will be grabbing their cameras, finding people in need, and taking their picture.When the prints are ready, the photographs get delivered. Yep. It really is that easy. And by the way, we don't want to see your photos. This is about GIVING the pictures, not taking them. These portraits are not for your portfolio, website, or for sale. Money isn't involved here. This holiday season, you have the chance to give a family something they may have never had before- a portrait together.Our mission? Our mission at Help-Portrait is simply to equip and mobilize you. We want to make sure you have all the information that you need to successful participate in Help-Portrait on 12.12.09. We want to help you find other people in your area that are wanting to be part of Help-Portrait or have already begun to plan the event. We want you to have the opportunity to give."

Check out the Nashville test video here!

-Rodger

OK, looks great.

Wow... Inspiring!

That's a great thing you're doing Rodger, I'll have to look into this more
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Thanks Keith!

I've only worked with a roll of "banner paper" from walmart before. Is the paper from bh reusable? Or does it basically tear like any other paper?

Probably a dumb question, but before I let go of $45 for 107"x12yds of paper, I had to ask. In your opinion, would a 10x12 muslin from B&H for $60 be better? 15 more dollars for most likely a more reusable product..

Thanks again,

-Rodger

Here you go Roger. If you are only doing headshots this is a what I was talking about. $25.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45617-REG/Savage_20_1253_53_x_12yds_Background.html