Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean a lens...

Best way to clean a lens...

Stupid question, I know, but what do you find the best method to clean your lenses?

Re: Best way to clean a lens...

First, I use LensCoats on white lenses to keep them clean and protect them. I use microfiber cloths for general cleaning of the filters (try to have filters on every lens you have. It's easier to clean a $80 filter than a $700 lens) and air blowers for dust and other particles.

Any particular cleaning agent you use on the lens?

Nah. Maybe bryan's reviews can help you with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    It's easier to clean a $80 filter than a $700 lens

I'm not sure that it's easier - the process is essentially the same. But it's certainly less risky to clean a filter than the front element of the lens!

There are three steps, which you apply in order and stop after whichever one works.

1) Air blower - not 'canned air' but rather a squeeze bulb like the Giottos Rocket Blower.

2) Brush - I use a LensPen at this stage, first with the brush, then with the carbon tip. That usually takes care of stubborn dust, light fingerprints, etc.

3) Lens cleaning fluid + paper/cloth - I use Zeiss lens cleaner (there are others, but Zeiss gives me the cleaner for free ) and a Pec Pad. Apply the liquid to the paper/cloth (not the lens!), and wipe gently.

I clean my les as infrequently as possible. I just cleaned my 500's front element last night and the time before that was in November! The front element was quitedirty, it was full of tiny dirt particles and if you shine a light you could see a layer of (I believe) sea mist that had accumulate over the months. However none of this affected image quality or the camera's ability to autofocus. My pointis that the front element can get quite dirty without any affect to image quality. Don't clean your lens everytime you get back from a shoot, just use a rocket blower to blow offany dust. Set a schedule to clean your lens is a good idea, unless you get fingerprints, sunblock, salad dressing or bird poop on the front element.

Here how I clean my lens
    1. Blow off any dust using the rocket blower.
    2. I use a soft brush to brush off any dirt or to knock it off its "feet" while holding the lens up side down
    3. Repeat step #1
    4. Repeat step #2
    5. Repeat step #1
    6. Apply a small amount of lens cleaning fluid onto a lens cleaning tissue and gently clean the element in circulir motion. (I use Lens Clens fluid, which is highly recommeded by Moose Peterson and Arthur Morris, but still leaves residue and smearing)
    7. If you find any smearing or residue left by the fluid, use a soft cotton cloth and gently wipe it off in circular motion.
    8. If you still find smearing and residue, don't panic, let the lens sit for about 15 minutes and repeat step#1, then repeat step#7

It's better to keep your lens clean than keep cleaning your lens![]

Once a year I send my camera and lenses to canon for inspection, cleaning, and repairs (if necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison
    Once a year I send my ... lenses to canon for ... cleaning

What do you do if you or someone else inadvertently leaves a fingerprint on your lens a couple of weeks after you get the lens back from Canon?!?

Oh my. [:P]

Seriously, though, what do they charge for the service? Does it vary by lens/body? Or are you in CPS and it's a free service for you? Thanks!

I've said it before on other forums but the single best method for cleaning optical surfaces is collodion, the method of champions.

Look it up here:

http://www.webari.com/oldscope/atspages/techtips.htm

The way it works is very simple. You basically pour it on the lens, let it dry, and peel it off. It works 100%, leaves no residue or streaks, and has no risk of scratching or damaging the coatings.

Then again...I looked here as well, and found a very negative report of this method:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1304

So make of it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

I've said it before on other forums but the single best method for cleaning optical surfaces is collodion, the method of champions.

Look it up here:

http://www.webari.com/oldscope/atspages/techtips.htm

The way it works is very simple. You basically pour it on the lens, let it dry, and peel it off. It works 100%, leaves no residue or streaks, and has no risk of scratching or damaging the coatings.

Then again...I looked here as well, and found a very negative report of this method:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1304

So make of it what you will.

Wow, never heard of that method before. Sounds promising.. I'm guessing the part about creating a 'dam' so the collodion doesn't seep into the lens, isn't that necessary on an L lens?