20mm is my favorite focal length.

Firstly, for introduction, I have a 5DmkII, 16-35/2.8, 24-105 and 70-200/2.8II. I've owned the fishy and 24-70 previously. After spending a long time with these lenses at various focal lengths I've found that 20mm is what I like best. I can even take y 16-35 and shoot through the range, and I find that 20 exactly pleases me the best. It 'fits' my inner view of the world.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of ditching some lenses and just sticking with what I like, or just shooting it for a year or something. Looking at the 20 options in primes, the

• Canon 20mm is out as it is too poor a lens
  • The 24's are out - too cramped for me
  • The 16's are out - too much in the frame
  • My 16-35 is quite nice, but bigger and more general purpose then I need (I keep putting it at my favorite focal length)

So that seems to leave the Zeiss brothers, the 18mm and 21mm

• I'm OK with manual focus, since at least I have a focus indicator (but AF is preferred)
  • Love the apparent build
  • 21mm is a bigger prime then I'd like, the 18 is more a size I'm looking for
  • 18mm on the 16-35 seems too wide, but the 21 seems close enough to what I want

So I'd like to go Zeiss 18, but Zeiss 21 seems like what I should get. I prefer just buying a lens and not renting, I can never figure out how I feel about a lens until I actually own it for a few months.

Thoughts? Any owners of these lenses? Any other choices I've missed?