Thread: Canon EOS 450D Lenses

Canon EOS 450D Lenses

Hello,

I am new to the photography field, and very much interested in this field, As a beginner, RecentlyI brought Canon EOS 450D + 18-55 IS lens ,and I liked it very much.

Now I am thinking of upgrading the lens to a professional one. (and would like to keep my 450D)

Could you please share your experience ..

I am interested in

1. General photography

2. Landscapes/Nature/flowers

3. Family photos

After reviewing many websites and forums, Istuckwith2 lenses( Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens)

From experienced reviews ,I think 24-70 is more professional one but I am concerned about few things

1. 24-70

1a. Does it suits my EOS 450D?

1c.As this is heavy, does it damage my 450D ?

2. 17-55

2a.Does it suits my EOS 450D?

2b. Heard that this is dust catching one

Could you please share your experienceand suggest good professional lens for my EOS 450D

Thanks in advance

regards

Alge

Re: Canon EOS 450D Lenses

Hey Alge,

welcome to the world of photography.

It looks to me that you don't really have a lot of experience. Why do you want such an expensive lens anyway? It's only good when you know how to handle it.

First of all...the 24-70 is really a lens for the top-photographers. Build quality is extremely high for extraordinary use. Not the kind of build quality most people need. Second, yes it is real heavy. Without a battery-grip I wouldn't recommend it on your 450D. It wouldn't break it, but handling isn't really good in my opinion.

The 17-55 IS USM is way better for your kind of use. It got IS, which is really nice. Image-quality is really really good. I didn't compare it to the 24-70, but to my other L-lens (70-200) and the 17-55 is really sharp.

Dust...yeah some people have problems with that, but most people don't Only the complainers put it on the internet, so that's why it looks like this lens has that problem a lot. Really it isn't such a problem. You can get unlucky, but then again...you can get unlucky with a 24-70 as well.

Also my question is: why do you want such an expensive lens, what don't you like about the kitlens? What do you want to do with it? What do you expect from it? Have you got other lenses? Flashes? Maybe those are some things you can think about.

I vote for the 17-55, because this lens really rocks! I didn't notice any dust problems with my lens and I'm really not to scared of a little dust. Photographing motorcross etc.

The 24mm of the 24-70 is somewhat narrow on a 450D. Especially for inside and family portraits.

You might also want to check out the tamron 17-50 f2.8. Which is a really nice and a lot cheaper lens. It lacks both IS and USM though, but you might not need them so badly.

Or look at the 24-105 f4 IS USM which is also a very good lens. A nice zoom-length and perfect for you if you only want 1 lens.

I hope I helped you somewhat. There are lots more topics on this forum regarding the choice between the 17-55 and the 24-70....read them as well.

Another thought...

You could buy the 17-55 f2.8 IS USm and the 70-200 f4 L for the same amount of money that you buy 24-70 f2.8L for and I promise, you really get a lot more joy out of this combo then out of a single lens.... think about it.

Ps: don't take the reviews to seriously. It's not the lens that takes the pictures, it's the photographer

Re: Canon EOS 450D Lenses

Oh yeah, take a look at this topic

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/t/2550.aspx