Thread: My First (almost) Prizewinner...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My First (almost) Prizewinner...

As some of you may know, i've just moved back to Australia after a few years in Europe.

The other day I was going through my cupboards, and found this negative. It was the first shot i ever took that got entered into a competition (of sorts), it made it to the final shortlist-round but not into the final 12 (the winners went into a Calendar).

I've spent the last few hours figuring out how to use my mum's scanner, haven't used my gitzo blower as much on my 7D sensor i think. I've only scanned the negative thus far, and not all of it (the original was square, top and bottom are missing a tiny bit), and this is a (smallened) version of the JPG i got out of it (also have a 76MB 4800dpi tiff, although that's so overkill)

I'm not sure what i want to do with it, whether i could clean it up a bit, colour enhance, sharpen, print it out big (although i still have the roughly A3-size print i got from the comp), or whether i should leave it grainy and au naturale. Comments and suggestions are welcome (and sought for).

and rather than tell you how i took it, i thought it'd be more fun to let you speculate on what camera i used (and how old i was at the time)...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/8231.swan017ss.jpg[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Re: My First (almost) Prizewinner...

I like the graininess. Quite a few people liked the "Edit this" assignment, why not put it up for folk to have a play with. You might like the result or maybe one or two might inspire you in a direction you hadn't thought of. Although you would need to figure out a way for people to download the image file. As for me my edit suggestions would be subtle; I would work on enhancing the mood and possibly a very-very slight sharpen on the swans because they are the final resting place for the eyes and need a little something. It's a lovely serene image, no wonder it did well. [Y]

Re: My First (almost) Prizewinner...

Oh, something else that might help. Think of a name for the image, something that speaks of the image, like Serenity for example. Then use this as your baseline or direction for your edits. This is something I do so I don't go off on a tangent making edits that don't enhance the theme of the image. For example this picture is not of a carnival so 'color pop' for instance is not something you would worry about, but going the other way with desaturation or BW might work.