Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used and Refurbished Lenses and Cameras

Used and Refurbished Lenses and Cameras

Hey all,

This is mostly for my information once I get around to having money again (just bought my first 'big boy' lens and wont be working till august since I'm at college and then in Russia for 2 months) but I've been looking around at the next few upgrades I want, a few new L lenses, new body etc. What I wanted to know what sort of quality/reliability are you getting with the average used or refurbished gear?

What it comes down to if I'm still spending thousands of dollars on equipment either way I'd be more comfortable spending the extra few hundred or a thousand bucks for something that I know will work for quite some time.

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Re: Used and Refurbished Lenses and Cameras

I've never bought refurbished, but most of my lenses I've bought used. Why? Because lenses retain their value remarkably well unlike most other consumer goods like cars and computers etc. But like a new car off the lot, lenses do lose 10-15% of their value immediately. I don't like the idea of losing that much right away. I trust in Canon's quality and product.

Here is my process: I generally decide what lens I want. Decide on a price range, then hunt buy/sell forums for a few days (sometimes weeks) looking for a lens from an a) reputable seller with feedback, b) that is relatively new like less than 1 year old, c) that has been photographed well by the seller and shows no wear, d) that includes all the packaging materials, e) that may come with a few freebies like hoods and filter, f) when less than a year old I ask for the sales receipt and warranty card and the word of the seller that if the lens should have troubles he or she will help me with the warranty information, g) that has only had one owner. That's a lot I know, but I find that sellers who are conscientious enough to be able to provide all those things are remarkably good at taking care of their gear and honest people who want to maintain their investment and help another hobbiest like myself.

One other thing, in case you hadn't noticed, this process takes some time. I however enjoy it. You may not enjoy hunting and find that your time is worth 10-15%, as well as the peace of mind you get with a full 1 year warranty. For me it allows me to communicate with sellers about what it is they used the lens for and what they feel the strengths and weaknsesses of the lens are. But, again, that may be just me.

I bought a new 70-200 F2.8 IS lens, found it wasn't sharp and sold it. I then purchased a refurbished 70-200 F2.8 non IS from Adorama, and it was perfect in every respect. Saved some dough too. Thoroughly recommended.

<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';"]Thank you for the recommendation for buying refurbished from Adorama Camera - very much appreciated.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS';"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1ersonname><span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: blue; font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o></o>

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

KEH, Adorama are good choices. Both will also buy your gear and offer trade-ins.

Helen,

I just bought a new 1D Mark III from Adorama, recieved it 2 days ago. The camera is wonderful, thank you for your price and service. I have had nothing but good experiences over the years with Adorama.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stone

But like a new car off the lot, lenses do lose 10-15% of their value immediately.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Not always. A friend recently bought an 85/1.2 for his wife's 40th birthday. He was struggling with what to get, since the market had been going south, but he said "we may not have a house, but at least we'll have great pictures of our kids, etc." I told him if things got bad, he could sell that lens for nearly what he paid, as LensRentals was selling 1 or 2 of their 85/1.2 lenses at the time for $1675. That's 7% down from new, and AFTER 40 weeks of rental.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Another vote in favor of Adorama's refurbs...I bought my 40D as a refurb from Adorama in October, and am very happy with it. It was about $200 cheaper than the price of a new one at the time, and the camera was indistinguisable from a new one. I wouldn't recommend it for professionals because of the warranty on new bodies, but if you, like me, are a serious amateur who upgrades to last year's model every year or so, it's a great route to go to save some money that would be better spent on glass.

Another happy Adorama refurbished buyer. Bought a 100-400L last year for like $200 less and it was almost as good as brand new.