Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6D body ordered

6D body ordered

Traded in some of my unused equipment and some cash for a new 6D. Currently have a 7D which i will keep and be using for sports, wildlife and for my EFS 10-22. Decided to go FF for landscapes and low light shooting.

As not a pro could not justify paying almost double for the 5Diii. I have been very happy with the 7D and see no reason to upgrade to a new 7D Mark ii when it arrives(Want yes, need no).

I have picked up a EF 40MM pancake for a very light WA setup. When I purchased my 7D and my lens they where purchased by recommendations from this forum and clearly was a very good choice.

Any suggestions for a 10 stop ND filter. I have been happy with B&W as have their UV and polarizer filters. Not looking for the best but just something decent that will produce pretty good results.

Any tips on setting up the 6D?

Current lens - Canon EF 24MM Pancake, Canon EFS 10-22, Canon EF 24-105L F4, Canon EF 70-200L F2.8 IS ii, Canon EF 400L F5.6

Thanks

/CLICK ON

Congrats. And let us know if the lower noise levels convince you that you *do* want a 7D2.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Congrats on the new gear.

I have the Lee Big Stopper filter .... works great but can be hard to find in stock.

Congrats Homer. The 6D seems to be a great camera. There is some information out there that it may have a few advantages over the 5DIII such as a more sensitive center AF point (EV -3) and slightly better DR.

Regarding ND filters, first, you may want to decide if you want a screw in filter, or if you want to get a filter holder. For my solid ND filters, I still use screw in filters. I use the filter holder (Cokin Z-pro) for 4x6 graduated ND filters. I have a B+W 6 stop and B+W 10 stop ND screw in filters. I prefer the 6 stop ND filter as my 5DIII (and 7D) could still phase detect AF through those filters. I can contrast detect AF (Live-view) through the 10 stop, but I can't phase detect. Also, I find 6 stops to be enough for most circumstances and the 10 stop does cause a slight color shift letting in the red/warmer tones.

There are several good references on ND filters. Here is one.

Hoya NDx400

Thanks for all the comments and the ND filter information and the link.

Ordered today Hoya NDx400 as well as the Canon EG-D (grid screen)

/CLICKON

I love the 6d. The weight and the low light sensitivity of the center focus have made it my go to for long wedding days where I tote it all day and well into the dark hours. The focus has been amazing so far....sharp and really fast for those action reception shots!

Its fast enough that I used it at a boxing match recently with super fast boxers and very crappy light. Check out the blog post at Palmetto Moon

I also upgraded from a 7D to a 6D and kept the 7D. Did it a few months ago. I am finding the two make a good combination as they compliment each other very well. When outdoors in good light its the 7D with the 70-200 f4 or the 100-400L. For walk-around its the 15-85, I find the 7D/15-85 combo to be a fantastic walk-around.

When overcast or indoors I pullout the 6D with the primes (28, 50and 85mm). The 6D is awesome in low light. Outdoors dusk and dawn it's the 6D with the telephotos. Between the two cameras I feel well prepared for anything. Now I just need to learn more and more on how to shoot great photos.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lumens View Post
    Now I just need to learn more and more on how to shoot great photos.
    I feel like you're in the right place. ;-)

Loved the 15-85 on my 450D, want something similar for my 6D

With regard to filters, I also use 10 stop screw in filters, but use the Cokin Z-Pro for grads - works well for me, as I don't often use grads at the same time as 10 stop ND's - there is some vignetting with the Z-Pro at about 30-60 degrees rotation at 16mm on full frame when you have all three filter holders fitted, drop to two and it reduces significantly, drop to one and it's practically gone at 45 degree rotation (max vignette interference into frame)