Thread: Lighting Dissection: Andy Wright Portrait

Lighting Dissection: Andy Wright Portrait

Hello all,

I'm asking you to help me dissect the lighting in this portrait of TransWorld Snowboard magazine's senior photographer, Andy Wright.

I'd really like to re-create it and use it as my senior portrait haha.

Right now I'm thinking a gridded flash on his face from camera right and slightly behind him (shooting through the snow dust?). And a softbox behind him and camera left to provide the lighting on his back.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rodger

Re: Lighting Dissection: Andy Wright Portrait

The key light appears to be slightly above head level, around 90 degrees from the camera. You can see the shadow cast by his nose. It looks to be gridded or snooted, I can't really tell which. For all I know it could even be an umbrella far away.

The hair light is pretty much pointing at his back. I can't tell if it's a softbox.

Hmmm, the more I look at it the more confused I get. It almost looks like the face was lit up separately from the rest of the body (hand + camera).

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    The hair light is pretty much pointing at his back

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    It almost looks like the face was lit up separately from the rest of the body (hand + camera).

Wickerprints, those two quotes made me think. Could the back light be up high and pointing down? If it was high enough, the light would spill over his shoulder and light the side of the prop camera closest to his body.

I still vote gridded strobe as key on his face I think. Would a loose grid would allow some of the light to reach the side of the prop camera that is facing away from his body?

I'm getting confused too the longer I look at it haha.

Thanks for the reply,

Rodger

Looks like one source of light is projected directly onto his left shoulder from slightly aboveand another source coming from the upper direction in which the dust/snow is flowing to. (8 o'clock & 11 o'clock positions - both elevated). Dont know a whole lot about 'em but looks like light box's to me.

1/2 cent

I vote a lot of photoshop.