Thread: 50D second curtain sync with radio trigger

50D second curtain sync with radio trigger

Anyone know how to use a radio trigger and have second curtain sync on a 50D? I can only set second curtain sync when a canon flash is connect to the camera...frustrating!

Re: 50D second curtain sync with radio trigger

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Canon flash system. The second curtain firing command is sent via a TTL pin instead of the main firing pin. It is not controllable in the camera, but can only be set via an option on a master flash on top of the hot shoe. Nikon sends their second curtain firing command through the center pin, and is controlled via a menu option in the camera. Therefore, a Nikon user can initiate second curtain sync using any flash and any triggering system.

It's quite frustrating, really. So, in a nutshell, the only way to get off-camera rear curtain sync is:

1) Have a 580EX(II) on camera and another IR capable Canon flash off-camera. Use the built-in IR to trigger the off-camera flash. The built-in wireless capabilities of the Canon system can be a bit limiting.

2) Have a 580EX(II) on camera and another IR capable Canon flash off-camera. Use Radiopopper PX or the new Pocketwizard Mini & Flex units for radio-controlled remote triggering. This is a much more capable solution, but very expensive.

3) Have a 580EX(II) on camera and use optical sensors to trigger any off-camera flashes. You're limited in that the off-camera flashes must be able to see the light emitted from the 580EX.

Thanks for the information. I also was having troube with the off camera secnd (rear) curtain.

can you respond to my question posted on the dynalight in the next post.

Also what is your experience with the flex and mini with the 580exII

Thank you for the explanation. I wish Canon would figure out that people don't always want to use IR.

I don't believe that Canon's wireless ETTL allows second sync. My 550EX and 430EX slave won't do it. It does suck.

To set the second-curtain sync on a 550EX you have to press the (+) and (-) buttons simultaneously. That cycles between normal, rear-curtain sync, and high-speed sync. Check out the online manual here.