Thread: Northern lights photography

Northern lights photography

After my recent successful trip to Boundary Bay for owls, I have another trip planned for early March. I'm flying to Yellowknife, NWT for a few days to photograph the aurora. I've timed the trip around the new moon, and have also connected with a couple different tour guides that can take you out to good spots. If you're interested, let me know... I can provide more details. It's an easy flight for me... just two hours north of here. For the rest of you, I think it could be a bit more daunting. But it can be well worth it. The solar cycle is nearing its 11 year peak, and Yellowknife is situated directly under the aurora oval. So if the skies are clear, the chance of seeing northern lights is basically 100%. If you don't have warm clothing, some of the tour companies provide rentals. Otherwise all you need is a super wide angle lens (16 mm full frame is great), a tripod, and a thermos for your hot chocolate.

If you can't make it this spring, you can still consider going in the fall. The aurora will still be very active then. In fact, I might have to go back there then too! I really can't get enough of this beautiful sight.

Happy photo dreaming....

Jonathan...that sounds like a great trip. But the flight from Boston would be ~$2k. That will probably keep me south of the border.

I look forward to the pictures.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    and a thermos for your hot chocolate....
    Hot tub sized for me???
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Hot tub sized for me???
    Well there is actually one place that provides heated lounge chairs, so you can lie there all night and take in the show. Google "aurora village" and you'll see what I mean.

Capturing the Aurora is one of my goals for next year.
    I tried several times last season, but last year the most active nights were overcast or raining.

Don't think I can convince my wife to change our March plans to visit NWT instead of Arizona.. so maybe in the fall.

One advantage of going in the fall, is that the lakes won't be frozen so you can get great reflection shots of the aurora from the shore. I might have to go back there then too!