Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1D mark iv image quality against 5D2

1D mark iv image quality against 5D2

Hello,

firstly, does anyone knows when 1D Mark iv will be in Adorama and other known sellers, as well as European markets? i've seen in the forum a couple of people who already bought it.

The other thing is, i waited for the 1D4 because the former model did not have great resolution, and hoping that 1D4 will have even better image quality and ISO performance. Ok, 5D2 is clearly better in image quality and ISO performance than 1D3, but what about 1D4?

i don't ecxept it to be better from 5D2 in these 2 factors, but if it is nearly as good it's ok with me, i think it deserves to buy it. 1D4 has ISO very high yes, but that's not the point for me, i mean, i care about the higher usable ISO. And because i am a bird and wildlife photographer mainly, i really want the 1,3x of 1D4 (ok, speed is good also). Otherwise, i would buy the 5D2, but the fact it's a full frame, it will not give me the extra reach i need almost always. I am not thinking at all about the 7D, so please don't mention it at all.

So, to make a conclusion, how much good 1D4 is, comparing it with 5D2, image quality and higher usable ISO only???

i will finally then sell my 50D which is really not something great, it has quite a lot of noise.

and somethig else, only for nature photographers which know what i mean, what you will prefer as combination, 50D and EF 500 f/4L IS, or 1D4 and EF 400 f/5,6L (or EF 100-400 - one of these lenses, doesn't really matters which one cause i have them both)

Re: 1D mark iv image quality against 5D2

IQ and ISO performance looks to be "nearly as good" as you describe. If your doing birding photography you will not be happy with the 5D II's AF system.I would prefer a 50D and a 500mm just make sure to have aWimberley tripod.That being said I would rather have that unmentionable camera you described in combination with the 500mm.

The 1d IV was available today from bhphotovideo.com for about 30 minutes before it sold out. Expect this to happen weekly for about 4 months or sountiladequatestock is available.

Quote Originally Posted by George Spiridakis

and somethig else, only for nature photographers which know what i mean, what you will prefer as combination, 50D and EF 500 f/4L IS, or 1D4 and EF 400 f/5,6L (or EF 100-400 - one of these lenses, doesn't really matters which one cause i have them both)

If you mean that you have a 50D and 500mm f/4 L IS currently, and you also have a 400mm f/5.6 L and an EF 100-400mm zoom, and want to know which will pair best with the 1D Mark IV for wildlife, then the answer is clearly the 1D Mark IV plus the 500mm f/4 L IS. If that is not what you meant, please clarify. A 50D with a 500mm gives a full frame equivalent effective focal length of 800mm. The 1D Mark IV and 400mm only gives an EFL of 520mm. Not even close. My experience with a 1.5x crop body and a 400mm (EFL of 600mm) with even medium range shots of moderately large birds (Mallards) tells me you are going to be unsatisfied with the reach.

On the other hand, a 1D Mark IV and a 500mm f/4 has an EFL of 650mm, which is starting to be very handy, indeed. []

I believe that he has a 50d, 400mm, and 100-400mm currently and that he has a budget for either a 500mm or a 1d IV

Wasn't sure. I can see that you see that. If so, I suggest the 500mm f/4. The 50D, what with it's AF Microadjust and 15MP sensor, is undoubtedly a better body than my 40D, and look what people like Nate can do with the 40D and 500mm f/4!! Imagine if he had that lens and a 50D. His images would be so sharp, just looking at them you might poke you eye out!

Yes indeed, i have the 50D and both 100-400 and 400 f/5,6L. At the moment, my problem is the body. 50D is a medium performance camera, so i want a body which is top in image quality and ISO performance. 5D2 and 1D4 are cameras with very good levels in low noise. With my 400 and a body like the above i think i will get ecxellent images. I prefer to get fewer shots but with great image quality than more shots with noise(because of the 50D). Later, maybee in 6-7 months i'll manage to get the 500, so i'll have the ultimate combination of body and lens.

Now, i really want to know how 1D4 performs (at least in comparison with 5D2 which i've seen images of that body)

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

The 1d IV was available today from [url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ShoppingEngine/Click.aspx?b=2&e=684]bhphotovideo.com[/url] for about 30 minutes before it sold out. Expect this to happen weekly for about 4 months or sountiladequatestock is available.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sounds about right. I ordered my 1D III from Ritz Camera in July 2007, about two months after the camera began shipping in the US. It arrived at the store about seven weeks later. That was well after the AF reports had surfaced. If the 1D4 really is as good as claimed, I bet it'll be a tough find for seven months.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Hi George,

I havetwo questions for you. Is noise the only problem with your 50D? Are your images well composed, exposed, focused and processed? Please post a few samples and we can tell you what you need, whether you need a new camera or you just need to know more about photography (composition, exposure etc..) []. Beginners tend to think "my camera sucks, it gives crappy results, I wish I have a better camera so I can make better images". []

I am not thinking at all about the 7D, so please don't mention it at all.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

My apologies but I have to. If you feel you need a better body than a 50D then why not? I think most will agree that the glass though is more important than the body. Are you looking to be on the leading edge of technology or the bleeding edge? Do you have to make a move now or can you wait for the 1D MKIV to get on the market and really see how it performs before asking the question?

Still love my 5D. Looking for more glass first.

Mark
    Mark

I am not thinking at all about the 7D, so please don't mention it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

My apologies but I have to.

Save your breath. I made an effort to explain why the 7D was an excellent choice in the last thread he started with a similar subject, but he dismissed it all with the wave of a hand. This time he even gave you advance warning.