Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from our cruise

Back from our cruise

After being inspired by Denise's fabulous sunrises I set out to capture some sunsets while on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico.

Here is one of my favorites

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0257.JPG[/img]

Camera Maker: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Image Date: 2010-09-12 18:11:19 -0500
    Focal Length: 105.0mm
    Aperture: f/5.0
    Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
    ISO equiv: 160
    Exposure Bias: none
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: No
    Color Space: sRGB v1.31 (Canon)

To see the rest go to my facebook

Mark
    Mark

Re: Back from our cruise

Very nice, Mark! You were lucky to have so much cloud cover to add interest but not completely cover the sun!
    I went out again last Sunday morning to Lake Michigan and there were virtually no clouds at all ...but the colors were stillbreathtaking and there were plenty of boats and fisherman to make up for it!

Denise

Welcome back, Mark! Sounds like you had a great trip!!

I like the square framing for the sunset shot, but I'm not as much of a fan of the centered horizon. Great exposure, though. I like the little bit of flare at the right.

I might have cropped it like this:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.15/SunsetCrop.jpg[/img]

--John

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Welcome back, Mark! Sounds like you had a great trip!!

I like the square framing for the sunset shot, but I'm not as much of a fan of the centered horizon. Great exposure, though. I like the little bit of flare at the right.

I might have cropped it like this:

--John
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks for the comments

I cropped it the way I did because of the other lens flare that takes up the whole shot. It is very light but I liked it.

thanks

Mark
    Mark

Not a bad shot. This would have been a great opportunity to experiment with using the rule of thirds though. Rule of thirdswould have added dynamic tension to an otherwise static shot and probably changed (hopefully lessoned) the amount of flare. Also the only timeIprefersplitting the horizon horizontially even is when the sky and water both have something to add to the shot,such asmore interesting reflection on the water.

Tom

Here is an example I took from The Margaret Todd in Maine last summer. Does this make sense to you?

Tom

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/_5F00_072_5F00_DxO-copy3.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

Here is an example I took from The Margaret Todd in Maine last summer. Does this make sense to you?

Tom
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, it makes sense. Very nice shot. On mine I liked the two lens flares on this image. The large flare may be hard to see but it takes up the entire frame. If you look at the others on my facebook you will see the water is about a third of the image and the sky is about two thirds. The colors were beautiful and there was noting in the water.

Mark
    Mark

I did look at FB. The rule of thirds applies both horizontally and vertically. If you draw two imaginary equally spaced horizontal lines and two equally spaced vertical lines in your frame and place the subject at the intersection of two lines you get more tension and dynamics in the shot vs. placing the subject dead center. Try experimenting with it you might like it.

Tom

Nice shot Mark, I really like the colors in the clouds and the big flares in it! The little one I think is a bit disturbing, since it's so dense. It's more of a spot now instead of flare. At least I think so []

I'm with the others about the water/sky-ration and everything being centered.

Anyway I also hope that you had more things to do on your cruise than just capturing some sunsets [:P] so I hope you had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    To see the rest go to my facebook

I guess you need to have an account, since I can't see any pictures [] Or I don't know where to look [A]

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

I guess you need to have an account, since I can't see any pictures [img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Here are a few more []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0212a.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0267a.jpg[/img]

Here is my beautiful wife in our rental car

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0236a.jpg[/img]

And our ship

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0239a.jpg[/img]

I see it is cutting my images off on the right side. I know it has been mentioned before but what is the optimum size for posting here?

Mark
    Mark