Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favourite lens - the 85mm f1.2L

My favourite lens - the 85mm f1.2L

I expect I'm like a lot of photographers in that I use a variety of lenses but I do have one that is somewhat of a personal favourite.

The 85mm f1.2L is that lens for me. It isn't the most used lens by any means - the 24-70 f2.8L is the "workhorse" but I just love the "pop" I get from the better pics with the 85mm. It does seem to produce wonderful colour saturation and contrast and the bokeh with wide apertures really does bring the main subject "out" of the picture.

Here are a few, non commercial, examples. Some of the best examples come from stage productions but I wouldn't use these without permission from the relevant client.

Low light situations are obviously its forte.

Bishop Terry Brady - 5d, 1/160, f1.4, ISO 800, no flash. (You'd need to know him, but he is a very upbeat guy despite an almost perpetual world weary expression.)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Brady.jpg[/img]

Archbishop Mark Coleridge - 1D IIN, 1/100, f1.8, ISO 800, no flash

This photo was taken during the World Youth Day in Sydney. Mark Coleridge is one of those who couldn't talk if you cut off his hands - very expressive in an almost Italian way.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Coleridge.jpg[/img]

Easter 2008 - 5D, 1/80, f2.4, ISO1250, no flash

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Easter.jpg[/img]

Young reader - 5D, 1/60, f2.2, ISO 1250, fill flash

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Reader.jpg[/img]

And finally, an outdoor shot taken in early morning light, deliberate use of shallow DOF for effect. This was one of the works displayed at "Sculpture by the Sea" an annual event at Bondi.

ID IIN, 1/200, f1.8, ISO 100, fill flash

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Sculpture.jpg[/img]

Cheers,

Michael

Re: My favourite lens - the 85mm f1.2L

Very nice pics... composition and colors are great and they all demonstrate the value of a narrow dof.

I've got the f/1.8 but have been wanting the f/1.2 for a long time... which is why I noticed that all of these pics were taken at f 1.8 or wider...

Nice pics. That is definitely a nice lens. I got a chance to play with it once and the quality of the images is just stunning.

Are you using the Mark II or the Mark I.

The pics are great. I'm seriously considering this for my next lens. I'm on the fence between it and the 70-200 2.8L IS.

The pics are great. I'm seriously considering this for my next lens. I'm on the fence between it and the 70-200 2.8L IS.

Kinda comparing apples and oranges. Do you need up to 200 or are you fine shooting at 85? You also get the wideraperturewith 85 so thats something else to consider.
    <div></div>
    <div class="ForumPostFooter"]
    <div class="ForumPostButtons"]</div>
    </div>

Not comparing their uses. I want both and will eventually get both. Just don't know which one I will get first.

I'm leaning toward the 85L.

I got the 70-200 first, and think it's more useful in more situations, however....

the 85L is better at doing what only it can do. Ridiculously good in low light. Stupidly sharp. It's a kind of magic []

my 24-105 and 70-200 see the most time, but the fast primes win when you've got the time and room to maneuver yourself, or can just accept that you're at a fixed focal length and lose some shots.

I wish they'd update the 50mm....

BTW, anybody know if the 50 f/1.4 shifts focus at different apertures like the f 1.2?

If I had to give up one... hmmm...

I can't.

In low light I'm a fixed guy. I have the 24 1.4L MkI, 50 1.4 (can't justify the 1.2L when the 1.4 is so good) and would like to compliment them with the 85 1.2L. I'd probably use the 85 quite a bit. I do a lot of head shots and portrait type work. When I'm using my 24-105 I find myself using at 24, 50 and 70mm most of the time. So I think I'll train myself to take a step or two back and go for the 85.

My two bodies are a 1D MkIIN and a 5D, the original one (that I guess is now being called a Mk I).

Indoors I'll generally have the 24-70 f2.8 on the 1D and either the 85 f1.2 or the 70-200 f2.8 IS on the second body. My preference is always to minimise the use of flash when photographing events (sometimes you cannot use it at all - eg stage productions) so high ISO and wide apertures are the norm.

No doubt about it!

85 1.2 is the next L lens I wanna purchase

It is the remaining signature of an era (I consider the other two 50 1.0 and 200 1.8)