Thread: Help deciding on an external flash

Help deciding on an external flash

I recently purchased a 5d mark II with a 70-200 f2.8 IS II lense. It was an upgrade from my 40d wi kit lense. I'm looking at an external flash for my next purchase. I'm not sure if I should go with the 430EXII or the 580EXII or anothe option altogether. I'm not a professional photographer. This is just a hobby for me, but I'm getting more into it and want to improve the quality of my images. I'm looking for a flash to improve my indoor photos in low light situations. So what do you guys think?

Hi, I chose the 430EXII mainly due to better size without too much power sacrifice. On the other hand I use it with a 7D and a shorter zoom - maybe your 5D2/70-200 combo would do better with the more powerful 580EXII. One thing about flashes that I learned is that it gets kind of addictive - once you got one you will "need" more. My suggestsion would be to go with the big one - that may delay further need.

I use the LumoPro LP-160. It is strictly a manual flash, but has the power of the 580 at much less cost. If you want ETTL, I'd recommend sticking with Canon.

Dave

For less the $200US, you can get more for your money buying a refurbished 480exII from the Canon site. Wait for the 20% off and free shipping to get a really good deal. Besides, it's not always how much light you have, but how you use it that makes the difference.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

600 EX RT
    just out with a rebate 599
    of course you will need two,
    but for off camera flash there is not other Canon system that compares.
    Then get Sly Arena's book on Speedlights Handbook