Thread: Lens Coat quetsions. Also, a quick bag question.

Lens Coat quetsions. Also, a quick bag question.

In the near future, I will have my very first white lens, the 100-400L II. Since it carries a rather hefty price tag, I'd like to protect it any way I can. I have seen people with camouflage lens covers on their lenses, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

The Lens Coat for the new 100-400L II isn't yet available, but I am going to assume that it will be available in all the colors/patterns they have on their website. I was planning on getting white or black, since I have no need for camouflage covering. My questions are, how does it stay on? Is it just an elastic-y fit? Is there any adhesives? Is it padded at all, or is it just a cover for rain/dust/etc? Is it easy to put on/take off? Are they worth it?

Also, right now I own two camera bags, a small one that I can keep my 5D3 with 24-105L mounted, as well as filters and a few other small accesories. I also have a backpack type bag that can carry the previously mentioned items, as well as my 50 1.4, my 100mm Macro, my flash, all my other accessories, and it will still have room for the 100-400L II. What I am looking for is a shoulder slung bag that I will be able to hold the 24-105L, the 5D3, and the 100-400L II. Nothing too big, preferably something that is just big enough for that.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I recently purchased my first a LensCoat for 300/2.8 II because I wanted to protect the paint from rubs and scuffs. No matter how careful I try to be, time takes its toll. My mark I had a few battle scars (nothing serious) that showed its age and I wanted to "baby" this a bit more than that one.

They are a very tight fit and do need to be put on slowly, so not to over stress the material. The only adhesive (in my set) was for the tripod collar, but i opted to not apply to that section, because it would do exactly what I bought the product to avoid. I got the Forest camo, but think that for the 100-400 the black would be a great choice, to draw less attention and not show wear as much. One thing I was thinking about was that the LensCaot would not be able to cover the barrel when it extends, so you would have a bright white "tip" on the lens, regardless of what pattern/color you selected.

Good luck on the bag search...no real input there, since it is a high personal preference item...I have 6 different ones that work for my different, but for an "all-around" solution, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW is a good choice.

***added thougths***

Sorry, I did not answer your questions about padding and my experience. it is a very thin neoprene product that provides minimal "shock absorption", but is useful form minor bumps and ordinary usage (pick up and put down), but that is where the majority of my rubs and scuffs happened. It has been pointed out to me (by my wife) that a camo coat on a big white lens does not hide the big white human holding the lens, in the real world....just in my mind, as the animals are smarter than that. I am happy with the product, for the purposes of protecting my investment.
    Last edited by DanoPhoto; 12-15-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added info
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

I have seen people with camouflage lens covers on their lenses, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I have one on my 500mm.

I was planning on getting white or black, since I have no need for camouflage covering. My opinion it is a waste of money if all you want is protection.

My questions are, how does it stay on? Mine just fit snugly over it, except for some tape they provided over the focus ring. I didn't use the tape.
    Is it just an elastic-y fit? Yes
    Is there any adhesives? See above
    Is it padded at all, or is it just a cover for rain/dust/etc? Padded yes, actually it probably collects dust. When it is wet it stays wet longer than the bare lens would. It is good as camo, but it will keep your lens wet longer.
    Is it easy to put on/take off? Not a complete pain.
    Are they worth it? Not for a 100-400mm IMO.

I have two versions of this sling bag. A larger and a smaller.
    The smaller is perfect for the 70-200mm f/2.8L II and should be fine for your 100-400mm.
    I am not sure this is the size I would recommend, but if it is what you are looking for I will check mine when I get home and let you know the exact model number.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._7x_Sling.html

Thanks for your input Nitehawk, greatly appreciated.