Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    So, I have wondered if this says something about the future of crop sensor cameras, but....

An EOL (Rick Sammon) talking about the R6 and the new RF 600 mm f/11 and RF 800 mm f/11.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mfqryFqBw

Not "L"....not aimed at the professional crowd, but a pair of <$1000 "super tele" lenses for the masses.
    Good God f/11 is slow. I'd say for photographing birds lenses that are so slow would be virtually unusable if you want to shoot at any reasonable ISO.

I take photos of bald eagles a few times each winter. 1/1500 shutter is a good starting point to get sharp shots. What ISO would I have to use to shoot wide open at 1/1500? Too high

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Good God f/11 is slow. I'd say for photographing birds lenses that are so slow would be virtually unusable if you want to shoot at any reasonable ISO.

I take photos of bald eagles a few times each winter. 1/1500 shutter is a good starting point to get sharp shots. What ISO would I have to use to shoot wide open at 1/1500? Too high

Dave
    I don't think you would have a problem on a sunny day. You are getting what you pay for.

The question is how good will the IQ be.

The MTF of the new 800mm:

It would be a cheap way to get in to wildlife photography.

Some wildlife reviews for the R5 are starting to come in.

First impressions here, mostly, I am impressed watching eye AF on BIF:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8Divtkhe4

A german wildlife photographer. More initial impressions and some great photos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krpI9-KYVcA

I'd have to agree. Besides we have good options now with 600mm f/6.3 lenses by Sigma and Tamron. They are far more useable for BIF and are reasonably priced (Relatively speaking of course.).

I see them as compact reach, and that encompasses a lot of uses but hardly ideal or even usable for BIF.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I don't think you would have a problem on a sunny day. You are getting what you pay for.

The question is how good will the IQ be.

The MTF of the new 800mm:

It would be a cheap way to get in to wildlife photography.
    I looked at a series of action shots from December 2018 @ late afternoon:

1/1600 f/6.3 ISO 320 400mm

If shooting at f/11 then roughly ISO 1000.

Maybe they'd clean up decent, but I think it would be very limiting.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I looked at a series of action shots from December 2018 @ late afternoon:

1/1600 f/6.3 ISO 320 400mm

If shooting at f/11 then roughly ISO 1000.

Maybe they'd clean up decent, but I think it would be very limiting.

Dave
    You really saying that iso 1000 is bad? I constantly use iso 5000-10000 on night time shooting and without stacking images i don't have any issues with it. Been shooting macros with iso 3200-6400 no issuess so really can't see what is the problem here.

This is quite enlighting discussion about the R6 and the f/11 lenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Re4hpBYfk

I think the videos will start flooding out. I have seen (not watched) about 3 unboxing videos. Seems like Canon has pushed production models of the R5/R6 out.

Another from today. A feature I am paying attention too is the "animal eye AF." That could be a real key feature. Some very nice illustrations starting around 4:00 here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbqtkR_yyjM

Quote Originally Posted by Karsaa View Post
    You really saying that iso 1000 is bad? I constantly use iso 5000-10000 on night time shooting and without stacking images i don't have any issues with it. Been shooting macros with iso 3200-6400 no issuess so really can't see what is the problem here.
    Astro and BIF are quite different types of shooting. I am a cropped sensor birding photog and yes in my opinion ISO 1000 is pushing it if you want fine details in feathers.

You may have superior post processing abilities than I have.

Dave

With Topaz De Noise AI and Sharpen AI software I am able to go into the iso range of 3000-4000 in many cases and still retain good detail even with the 5D MKIV. The 1DX will even go a bit more in many cases especially if the images are for internet presentation.

I have a set 16x20 prints from my Ecuador trip and several were shot at iso 3200 with the 5D MKIV. They show really good details in the birds plumage.

To your point Dave .... post processing plays a big role .... not really skill but great software that's easy to use.