Thread: what would you buy with $1000 smackeroos??

what would you buy with $1000 smackeroos??

So i posted earlier asking about wide angle lenses, got some great feedback. the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens is amazing from what ive found on it. my question is , with $1000 what wide angle lens would you go for? Is there something better than the tonkina that i havent found. I shoot on the canon eos rebel t2i, what do you guys think?

Re: what would you buy with $1000 smackeroos??

I go as wide as you can get with the new Sigma8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022011sigma8mm16mm.asp

Well, I've got the canon 10-22. From what I've read it controls distortion and CA better than the other wide angle lenses. A little edge in the sharpness, too.

That 2.8 really is an attractive feature, though. Maybe I'm too nit picky about things, because I seem to always stick to Canon lenses, as opposed to 3rd parties. That's just me.

Yeah thats exactly what im looking for, this forum is great.

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra

Well, I've got the canon 10-22. From what I've read it controls distortion and CA better than the other wide angle lenses. A little edge in the sharpness, too.

That 2.8 really is an attractive feature, though. Maybe I'm too nit picky about things, because I seem to always stick to Canon lenses, as opposed to 3rd parties. That's just me.

Ditto for me. I debated the Canon 10-22mm vs. the Tokina 11-16mm, and was able to try them both out at a brick-and-mortar store. I did notice that 1 mm wider makes a difference, not huge, but you can tell the difference looking through the viewfinder. The constant f/2.8 of the Tokina is nice, but to get that they had to restrict the zoom range a lot, and frankly for landscape shots, you should be using a tripod, and shooting at a narrower aperture (f/8, f/11) for increased depth of field.

Canon-ball, another question for you - what lens(es) do you have currently? Just the 18-55mm kit lens? If so, you'll notice that the image quality of the 10-22mm is better than the kit lens - might get you looking at the EF-S 17-55mm.

But, if you're set on an UWA lens, I'd go with the Canon 10-22mm, and spend the balance of the $1K (or better yet, add a bit to that if you can) on a good tripod. I'd stay away from the cheap ones, Manfrotto is a good blend of quality and price. If you'll be hiking with your camera, you might want a carbon fiber model like the 190CXPRO3 or -4. If you aren't concerned about weight, consider the 055XPROB. With either, the 498RC2 makes a good head, with panorama capabilities. I really can't stress the need for a tripod enough - in your other post, you stated, "Ideally I want to in the future get images to canvas, big ones." No matter what lens you choose, if you want to print a landscape shot as a large print the only way you'll get a sharp enough image for that is to shoot from a stable tripod.

I am extremely pleased with the Sigma 10-20mm f/4- f/5.6 and my wallet was happy too.