Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Problems

Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Problems

I've had my nifty-fifty for over a year now (which effectively voids the manufacturers warranty, btw). We'd done good work together (three weddings, multiple vacation, conventions, parties, gatherings, etc).

I just recently came home from a camping trip, where I happened to drop the 50mm in the grass from a foot off of the ground. I didn't think anything of it. After coming home, I decided to play around with it some more, only to discover that the auto focus wasn't working. The shutter wouldn't even go off. I put it in manual, and the shutter started working. I find if I manual focus while in auto focus mode, it will take a shot focused correctly.

I tried cleaning the electrical contacts, nothing. Switched lenses, everything works fine.

While trying to find a solution, I came across multiple forums with many others with similar problems. Some even as early as only two months/500 exposures of use.

Anyone else who has this lens finding similar results?

R.I.P to my 50mm. She was much too young [:'(]

Re: Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Problems

Have you considered / looked into getting it repaired?

I haven't. Any recommendations as to where I can get that done? I don't know of any places that do repairs. There might be one near where I stay at, but I think they only do work with film cameras/lenses.

Usually when someone references a "nifty-fifty," they're referring to the 50mm f/1.8. However, you list the 50mm f/1.4 in the title of your thread. Was it the f/1.4 or the f/1.8 that quite working?

The reason I'm asking is this--if it's the f/1.8, then it'd be just as cheap to buy a new one. If it's the f/1.4, then give Canon a call so that they can give you an estimate on the repair. I don't know how much it'd be, but I've heard $160 is fairly standard for a lens repair. I'm sure it'd be worth that to repair an f/1.4.

Can go here to submit info and get an estimate:

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct&fcategor yid=216&modelid=7307

Or else call their technical service number:

1-800-OK-CANON

Canon charged me $95 to fix the same problem after mine was dropped onto soft carpet from a short height. The 50mm f/1.4 seems particularly delicate.

Well there you go...Less than $100 to fix a $400 lens doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. I wish it were built a bit better, but it's built a hell of alot better than the disposable f/1.8.

I meant the 50mm f/1.4. I didn't know there was a distinction. I learned somethin' new today!

The estimate's $95 US.

I'mma send it in when I get the chance and I'll post an update when I get it back.

Thanks Jon, Sean, & Daniel.

-Sonny

I remember when I was researching the 50mm 1.4 online prior to buying one reading quite a few posts from people who's AF had died after a light knock. Seems to be a weakness in this model. Handle with care!

I read alot of the same reports before buying mine. That's an unfortunate weakness for the lens....but when handled with care, it can produce superb results.

Update:

I sent my 50mm off to a Canon Repair Center a week and some change ago and got it back today. A few days after I sent it off, I received an e-mail stating the following:

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: black;"]"We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Based on our initial
    examination, we will start the necessary repairs at no charge to you."

Sweet! They repaired my lens at no cost (minus 20 some bucks for shipping it there), even after the warranty expired!

Canon, you just got yourself a lifetime customer. Thanks again, Sean and everyone else who helped during this process.

-Sonny