Thread: Ghosts of gridiron...

Ghosts of gridiron...

Survived the 25 year re-union of our inaugural charity bowl game back in 1986.

Barely. As we say, lost a bit of bark, spilled a bit of claret but it was, "all good." Until the second half when I tried blasting(I use that term advisedly)my way through the 1 hole on a power dive and when I surfaced from beneath the pile I had "pulled a hammy." Having not wanted to overtrain and peak too early, my explosive start from the 3 point stance (cough, cough) was way too much for my untested hamstrings, so I strained them, not too badly but enough to take me out of the game.

Here are a few shots from the game and the sidelines, not mine just some examples, I have the silver helmet and #34 on my back. Raised a good wad of money for spinal research. Worst injury was our outside backer who had a team mate fall on him and break his leg, it was getting pinned today. Some people took it way too seriously, but accidents happen.[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/450x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4377.Ghosts-of-gridiron_5F00_1.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/450x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4201.Ghosts-of-gridiron_5F00_2.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/450x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1212.Ghosts-of-gridiron_5F00_3.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/450x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5327.Ghosts-of-gridiron_5F00_4.jpg[/img]

One of the guys from back in the 90's contracted a rare spinal disease and is in a wheelchair, he came on for a play and scored a touchdown. The average age was about 41, with our oldest player at 59.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/450x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1832.Ghosts-of-gridiron_5F00_5.jpg[/img]

It was a great day, rekindled memories of a sport that was very new to Australia when we started playing, back in 86, but it has grown and in Brisbane we have 8 senior teams and a junior competition and one of our young products Jesse Williams is playing for Alabama.

Thanks for viewing, time to get more ice.

Steve

Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: Ghosts of gridiron...

What a wonderful thing you guys do for such a great cause! Glad to hear you survived with just a hamstring pull, it could have been alot worse. I hope it starts to feel better soon! Very sorry to hear about the guy that broke his leg though!

Look on the bright side, you still have another 25 year reunion left in you!

Mate.... You are a dinky die Legend.

Luv your pixs and Luv your gutsy performance.

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Thanks Denise and Wally, I think I'm more of a silly bugga than a legend.

At the first snap of the ball, both teams dropped to one knee and there was a minutes silence for those not with us anymore and they read out their names. Unfortunately for a 25 year period, it was a long list.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/450x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1641.Ghosts-of-gridiron_5F00_6.jpg[/img]

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Great story!

It seems like you guys had a really wonderful day. Very nice touch with the guy in the wheelchair scoring a touchdown and the moment of silence for your fallen mates. It seems like you have a bunch of great guys there.

Hope the Hammy is feeling better!

Rich