Thread: interchangeable lenses?

interchangeable lenses?

have a older canon eos ix with aps
    has a quantaray 28-80mm af lens
    can i use this lens on a new[er] canon dslr?

It look like the image?
    If it is the same camera ( circa 1996 ish) then yes. It uses the EF lens system, so will work on any eos body camera

even though it's a quantaray af lens?
    just want to be sure before I buy a new body
    thanx for the assist

Quote Originally Posted by LTRx View Post
    even though it's a quantaray af lens?
    just want to be sure before I buy a new body
    thanx for the assist
    As the mounting is the same I'm sure the lens will work.. but I do not know with certainty that the autofocus will.

I suggest taking your lens to a local camera shop and try it on one of their bodies.
    even if you ultimately buy elsewhere at least you will know if it does work.

I know nothing of your lens other than what I quickly googled and read.
    You might find that the kit lens provided with the newer canon bodies outperforms your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    As the mounting is the same I'm sure the lens will work.. but I do not know with certainty that the autofocus will.
    I suggest taking your lens to a local camera shop and try it on one of their bodies.
    even if you ultimately buy elsewhere at least you will know if it does work.
    You might find that the kit lens provided with the newer canon bodies outperforms your lens.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Read any lens review on this site, for all but the Canons Bryan always writes this at the end:
    "My standard disclaimer: There are some potential issues with third party lenses. Since <insert 3rd party brand here> reverse engineers (vs. licenses) manufacturer AF routines, there is always the possibility that a DSLR body might not support a (likely older) third party lens. There are examples of this happening in the past - and I was notified of a new incompatibility for an older Sigma lens while writing this review. Sometimes a lens can be made compatible by the manufacturer, sometimes not - which was the case in the just-received problem notice. There is also the risk of a problem that results in the lens and body manufacturers directing blame at each other."
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I'm betting the lens will work, with some caveats; e.g., when I went from film to digital my Sigma lenses would autofocus and work flawlessly in the "sports" mode (the little running guy on the dial); however, they would not work in any other mode unless the lens was an f2.8 max aperture and the aperture was set to f2.8. Thus, my "money-saving" sigma lenses were rendered worthless, as Sigma would re-chip the lenses for a price that was more than the lenses were worth. This is when I decided to only buy Canon lenses. You pay more upfront, but you have the piece of mind that they will always be compatible...unless Canon pulls another FD-EF scenario out of their hats!
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II