Thread: Booked a beach house on the outer banks of NC---Seeking Photo Ideas

Booked a beach house on the outer banks of NC---Seeking Photo Ideas

Well, The wife and I just booked a beach house on the outer banks of North Carolina for a week this summer. I am thinking sunrises, lighthouses and shore birds for subject matter, but any other ideas on equipment, subjects etc, would be welcome. Also My wife is thinking fun, sun, and family time----I am thinking Photo-Op, Photo-Op, Photo-Op---Is there something wrong with me?---
    Bob

Re: Booked a beach house on the outer banks of NC---Seeking Photo Ideas

Sounds normal to me!

Depending on where you are, some of the Outer Banks beaches are huge at low tide. If low tide and low sun happen to line up nicely, find something interesting in the foreground, mount that EF 10-22 of yours, and capture a sweeping, side-lit beach/sky/water landscape.

As you travel north towards the VA state line, the Outer Banks reaches a point where houses are accessible only by driving on the beach. If you happen to be staying relatively close to that area, that could make for some interesting pictures too. I have in my mind an image from 10 years ago of a Subaru legacy sedan stuck in the sand on the beach because it couldn

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb
    Depending on where you are, some of the Outer Banks beaches are huge at low tide. If low tide and low sun happen to line up nicely, find something interesting in the foreground, mount that EF 10-22 of yours, and capture a sweeping, side-lit beach/sky/water landscape.

Great Idea!!!!!!!---That will git me up at 5AM [:P]

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    ----I am thinking Photo-Op, Photo-Op, Photo-Op---Is there something wrong with me?---

Nothing any one in this forum would diagnose as a problem

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    ----I am thinking Photo-Op, Photo-Op, Photo-Op---Is there something wrong with me?---

Nothing any one in this forum would diagnose as a problem
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thats why I asked the question---Here.----[]
    Bob

Since you

Quote Originally Posted by erno james

I use my iPhone app Focalware that shows sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times and coordinates that also incorporates the built in compass. This really helps to plan your shots in advance. Have a blast and do post some of your Photo-op success.

I looked it up, great app--just wish they made it for other platforms. I did find "The Photographer's Ephemeris"---which does the same thing but the interface isn't quite as attractive or understandable--But, it is free, works on windows and gives the same info--

Thanks for the tip,

Bob
    Bob

Sunrise over the ocean, sunset over the sound. The Whalehead Club and Corolla lighthouse offer lots of good opps. The wild horses are favorites in the Corolla area. Jockey's Ridge is neat, and the Wright Bros. memorial and museum are very close. There is so much both north and south on OBX that you'll be busy.

Well, when I was down there last spring, the Bodie Island lighthouse was being sandblasted. Looked like it had been bubble wrapped for shipping! You've got the Corolla Island lighthouse (I got some fairly neat ones of it in the fog last April), the Bodie Island lighthouse, the Hatteras lighthouse and the Ocracoke Island lighthouse for starters... Lots of other items as well, I'd suggest just wandering around! There's always something to shoot! There's usually a bunch of sailboard and kite board people down close to Hatteras if the wind's ANY good at all.

@ Steve and Valley, Thanks for the tips. My plan is to take a day trip and visit a few places just to get ideas on subjects, perspective and lighting--I will certainly try and visit some of the places you both suggested. Since I will be entertaing young adults, i figure the early morning hours will be mine---They still like to waste the day away sleeping--go figure. Wild horses is one idea that never crossed my mind---a big thanks for that tip.

Again, Thanks

Bob
    Bob