Thread: Non-Canon fast wide angle zoom, wide prime &/or long tele (70-200)...

Non-Canon fast wide angle zoom, wide prime &/or long tele (70-200)...

Are there any that are any good? I seem to remember something about a good wide Sigma prime and a fastTamron or Tokina tele zoom, but it may have been a midrange zoom...

I have sold almost everything except my prized 50 1.4, andI may sneak back into the market on the cheap by buying a Elan 7E film cam and an inexpensive lens or two. Any suggestions?

Re: Non-Canon fast wide angle zoom, wide prime &/or long tele (70-200)...

Quote Originally Posted by I chase light

Are there any that are any good? I seem to remember something about a good wide Sigma prime and a fastTamron or Tokina tele zoom, but it may have been a midrange zoom...

I have sold almost everything except my prized 50 1.4, andI may sneak back into the market on the cheap by buying a Elan 7E film cam and an inexpensive lens or two. Any suggestions?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

If you want cheap glass I'd have to recommend Tamron. Their biggest fault is their auto-focus but Sigma isn't without its problems either. Most every review I have read shows Tamron to be sharper than Sigma hands-down.

How about these two:

[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/539396-REG/Tamron_AF001C_700_70_200mm_f_2_8_Di_LD.html]Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 $679.00[/url]

<span id="btAsinTitle"]<span style="color: #606420;"]Tamron AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 $389.99

Re: Non-Canon fast wide angle zoom, wide prime &/or long tele (70-200)...

from my own experience, i know of people who have used the Sigma and Tamron 70-200 havd have found the autofocus on both to be very slow, inadequate for sports. i personally own a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 which is the equivalent of 80-210 on a full frame camera. i absolutely love this lens, but if you read brian's review or others online, people have had problems with improperly calibrated versions that front-focus, so buyer beware with that. as far as fast, wide zooms, i've heard nothing but great things about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, however this is also a digital only lens that wont fit on a film camera. hope this helps some